Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby padraig » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi folks,

Im a newbie here, doing a little sea fishing and trying to graduate from Mackerel/Pollack off Dunlaoighre to a little bit of beach fishing. I am from Dublin, a complete novice too, so am completely green with regard to Wicklow marks.

I was hoping to ask you vets a question about access to Killoughter beach access. I am planning to head down there at some stage soon, was just scanning the routes and Killoughter Lane isn't mapped online properly. Just wondering if you guys access via 5 Mile Point and stroll downwards, or is there reasonably good access at the end of Killoughter Lane?

What i could see on google maps, looked verrrry bad.

Cheers lads.

P.

For this message the author padraig has received thanks:
Rod Tips (Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 pm)
padraig
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 3 times

Advertisement

Entries now open for the All Ireland Shore Cod Championships on December 1st hosted by Sea Angling Ireland SAC

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby EricH » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 pm

The lane is in bits, you can drive down a bit and park and walk the rest, to be honest I wouldn't bother. Go to Five Mile or Kilcoole if you are in that area.
EricH
SAI Sea Dog!
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Wicklow
Has thanked: 36 times
Have thanks: 11 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby Rod Tips » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:56 pm

padraig wrote:Hi folks,

Im a newbie here, doing a little sea fishing and trying to graduate from Mackerel/Pollack off Dunlaoighre to a little bit of beach fishing. I am from Dublin, a complete novice too, so am completely green with regard to Wicklow marks.

I was hoping to ask you vets a question about access to Killoughter beach access. I am planning to head down there at some stage soon, was just scanning the routes and Killoughter Lane isn't mapped online properly. Just wondering if you guys access via 5 Mile Point and stroll downwards, or is there reasonably good access at the end of Killoughter Lane?

What i could see on google maps, looked verrrry bad.

Cheers lads.

P.
You could try Killiney Beach, I've been informed on here that it is fishing well with a great variety of species, no great sizes reported, but it may just help you graduate, and it's less of a haul than killoughter.
Best of luck
Tight Lines
Rod Tips

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rod Tips
SAI Bait Ball
 
Posts: 50
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Have thanks: 8 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby padraig » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Spot on. Tanks a tousand for the info, appreciated.

For this message the author padraig has received thanks:
Rod Tips (Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:24 pm)
padraig
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby Rod Tips » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Killoughter may not be worth the trek, especially the road that leads to it.
Maybe you could 'cut your teeth' closer to home, I got a reply on here recently, and it is reported that Killiney is fishing well, throwing up good variety of species, no great sizes reported, but it's closer to home, shorter disappointing drive home if you draw a blank

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rod Tips
SAI Bait Ball
 
Posts: 50
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Have thanks: 8 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby padraig » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 am

Hmmmm! This is food for thought, thanks men.
So at the moment, a lot of what I am trying to do really, is learn the basics; build rigs, learn different baits, figure the weather and timing the tides etc. I was thinking I might learn a bit more about the water down south.
But what ye are saying makes sense, and there is so much to learn; probably best to learn the rigs and baits closer to home, then when comfy explore a little more.

Gents, thanks again for the input.

For this message the author padraig has received thanks:
Rod Tips (Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm)
padraig
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby Rod Tips » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:29 pm

padraig wrote:Hmmmm! This is food for thought, thanks men.
So at the moment, a lot of what I am trying to do really, is learn the basics; build rigs, learn different baits, figure the weather and timing the tides etc. I was thinking I might learn a bit more about the water down south.
But what ye are saying makes sense, and there is so much to learn; probably best to learn the rigs and baits closer to home, then when comfy explore a little more.

Gents, thanks again for the input.
Spot on padraig, experiment with the rigs, casting, find where the gullies are, the channels ( Google Earth Is good), try go down at low water to survey the area, and don't be shy of asking locals or anglers. There are good links on this forum for rigs and you could always ask for a link to some rig building sites, or YouTube isn't bad, (TaFishing is cool, TOTALLY AWESOME FISHING SHOW).
Very best of luck in your endeavors.
Might see you out there sometime
Tight Lines
Rod Tips

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rod Tips
SAI Bait Ball
 
Posts: 50
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Have thanks: 8 times


Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby padraig » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks a mill for the links Rod, appreciate it and will begin digesting them!
I have to say, I've been overdosing on the TA fishing show. I know he might not be to everyone's liking, but that Graham chap is a great character. I love his approach to it and how he interviews really knowledgeable people too.
padraig
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby Teegerstk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 pm

padraig wrote:Thanks a mill for the links Rod, appreciate it and will begin digesting them!
I have to say, I've been overdosing on the TA fishing show. I know he might not be to everyone's liking, but that Graham chap is a great character. I love his approach to it and how he interviews really knowledgeable people too.

Agreed. I've been watching his videos for years and he has all the tips needed for beginners. Really helped me out when I started.

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks: 2
padraig (Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:22 pm), Rod Tips (Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:20 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Hammerhead
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: Wexico
Has thanked: 52 times
Have thanks: 71 times

Re: Killoughter Beach / 5 Mile Beach - Newbie Question

Postby Rod Tips » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Graeme Pullen is like the Bruce Forsyth of Angling , or check out Phil Williams, think you can find him under 'stealthcroft' on YouTube
Teegerstk wrote:
padraig wrote:Thanks a mill for the links Rod, appreciate it and will begin digesting them!
I have to say, I've been overdosing on the TA fishing show. I know he might not be to everyone's liking, but that Graham chap is a great character. I love his approach to it and how he interviews really knowledgeable people too.

Agreed. I've been watching his videos for years and he has all the tips needed for beginners. Really helped me out when I started.


Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Rod Tips
SAI Bait Ball
 
Posts: 50
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Have thanks: 8 times


Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], VigLinkBot [Bot] and 1 guest