Donegal Bay, 4th/5th September 2018 A Tough Trip

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Donegal Bay, 4th/5th September 2018 A Tough Trip

Postby johnwest » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:12 am

Spring was very slow to exert its influence but Autumn shows no such reluctance as the days shorten, the evenings draw in, red berries adorn the roadside shrubs and leaves begin to yellow. But the sea is still warm and the weather permits a few days out.
Tuesday, 4th. I have found mackerel hard enough to source for bait this year but today was different; the top feather hadn’t even entered the water before I felt the shaking of mackerel on the lower hooks. A dozen decent mackerel were collected within a minute and that was plenty of bait. First drift on the sand produced a bite almost straight away which caught me cold and I missed it. An encouraging start but luck was playing with me. The rest of that drift was quiet and the second drift produced 3 dogfish but no hoped-for rays. The freshening breeze combined with the swell was providing a bumpy ride with little return; Regular Readers may Recall that I’m Reluctant to Remain in the Rough especially if the Rays Refuse to Respond so I decided it was time to get my “Rs” out of here and try elsewhere. The move was a good one as three thornbacks around 5-6lb came to the boat. The weights were estimated as I discovered I had forgotten to pack my scales, something I was to regret when I connected with a fourth ray. This was a big one; in fact it just fitted into the net which promptly snapped as I lifted the ray into the boat. This could well be a new p.b., currently 12lb, but I’ll never know. By now it was time to head in.
Wednesday, 5th. A fresher breeze with a bit more swell required a different launch site to get some shelter. I might as well have stayed at home as I had probably the worst day’s fishing for a long time. The weather didn’t help as there was a lot of rain though it wasn’t cold. A couple of drifts produced not one bite apart from a mackerel which intercepted a bait on the way down. This spot produced thornies, spotties, dabs and tub gurnards last time I fished it. My father always maintained the best way to get a bite was to “get the teabag on”, perhaps coffee doesn’t work as a fresh cup failed to induce a bite. A move further out to deeper water wasn’t much better as only a few small dabs and 2 small whiting appeared. The water was very dirty with lots of dark red-brown gunge collecting on the line when reeling in; I took some recordings with my underwater camera and it was almost impossible to see anything. Returning to the first drifts in shallower water (25-30ft) the clarity was better but the bottom was littered with fragments of seaweed, I wonder does this deter the fish as they were scarce, though I did pick up one dab following the camera through a bed of seagrass. A move to a rocky area was thwarted by the number of potmarkers festooned over it so I cut my losses and headed home. There’s always next time.
Attachments
P9047432 - Copy.JPG
1 of 3 at 5-6lb
P9047438 - Copy.JPG
Possible new P.B?
P9047437 - Copy.JPG
Best of 4 Rays
P9052360 - Copy.JPG
All Quiet on the Western Front
Untitled2 - Copy.jpg
Dab chasing the Camera
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Re: Donegal Bay, 4th/5th September 2018 A Tough Trip

Postby pajo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 am

Very nice John West - some fine ray there and the big fella looks impressive!

For this message the author pajo has received thanks:
johnwest (Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:06 pm)
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: Donegal Bay, 4th/5th September 2018 A Tough Trip

Postby MAC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Nice report, I think that Ray beats your PB...
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
johnwest (Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:06 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports