what kit do i need to start

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

what kit do i need to start

Postby newstart » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:38 pm

can you tell me what rod rating and line rating i need to start any rod makes to look for. also what leader to suit. i basic i need to know everything please help. summer on way. beach caster who got bug watching others so please help
newstart

Re: what kit do i need to start

Postby jaminator » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 am

newstart wrote:can you tell me what rod rating and line rating i need to start any rod makes to look for. also what leader to suit. i basic i need to know everything please help. summer on way. beach caster who got bug watching others so please help

it depends .... :)
send me a pm and i will email you a few links.

james
C&R then C&R then C&R......

C&Kill then C&Kill too many times then choose another sport!
jaminator
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby IDPearl » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:29 am

Check this article out as well if you are looking. Makes sense...

http://www.ukfishinginfo.co.uk/stoned.php

Edit.. oops posted in the wrong place. But it's still a good article to read. :oops:
Last edited by IDPearl on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

dav

Postby newstart » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 am

also looking advice on fly rods at sea what size and wait is needed
newstart

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:42 pm

Hi Newstart

I was the same as you last summer and asked advice of the forum. Had some great replies and helpful information- see Connemara Fly Fishing lower down the page.

Never caught anything but had some great fun casting and the coach who taught me the rudiments of casting seemed quite happy with the set up I ended up with.
Rod was a TFO 9 ft, 8 weight, 4 piece. It cost around £120 but I’m sure someone on the forum will point you to an equally useful rod that’s a good bit cheaper.
Lines were Mill ends 9 weight forward lines from Mullarkeys at around £5 each. See http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/

Reel was an Okuma Airframe 7/9 from Veals, around £30 and you can buy spare spools for them.

I got a mixed bag of saltwater flies from Oceanflies sales@oceanflies.com which is in the UK but I’m sure there are some good supplies in Ireland – I think John Quinlan in Waterville sells them. If you can tie your own, you will find a helpful link on how to use polypropylene string, also lower down the page.

Hope this helps and if it’s really poor advice, I’m sure someone will kindly put me right. :lol:

Tim
Tim
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby liamdenne » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:58 am

hi
i spend a good amount of time looking at different rods reels etc and found the best vcalue by a mile was the delta plus aftm 9 and 9 ft long. i got an eco disk reel from a crowd in donegal, they advertise in irish angler and beat the price of everyone else on these 2 thngs including uk online stores.best line to start with is mentioned above.
u can use anything for flies with even single mackeral feathers catching baby pollock for me in dublin last summer.
another few essentials are a pair of glasses to protect ur eyes and a hat with a rim to protect ur ears. also a line tray to stop ur line getting cut up on barnacles mussles etc. i use a big mushroom punnet with a bungie cord to keep it round my waist.
if u have any other questions feel free
liamdenne

Postby liamdenne » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:01 pm

i use john quinlans flies. u can contact him at thatchcottageireland.co.uk.
i go out with him as often as i can and would recommend this as a perfect way to start saltwater fly fishing
liamdenne

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing