casting in a feild

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

casting in a feild

Postby ady » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:16 pm

need a little help from you guys?

want to practice my casting and have the perfect place to do it. problem is it is a large field so how do i stop my lead getting stuck on impact and any tips for retrieval of it?
ady

Postby eric » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:50 pm

not sure how to avoid plugging, perhaps cast only after a period of hot dry weather, but the again its Ireland. :lol: when retrieving you have to walk to your lead while reeling in so you don't damage your line.
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby EoinMag » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Two options that I know of, slice a tennis ball open and pop the lead into it, step the lead down an ounce or so, or start to thumb the spool and pull back on the lead as it's about to land.
2008 Species: Flounder, whiting, coal fish, Dogfish, rockling, dab.
EoinMag
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby scara » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I use a 5oz hockey ball drilled through with 200lb line through it, connect this to your shock leader. casts well doesn't go as far and can be easily reeled in. good for practicing with.
Sinking Fast.
scara
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby MC » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:54 pm

scara wrote:I use a 5oz hockey ball drilled through with 200lb line through it, connect this to your shock leader. casts well doesn't go as far and can be easily reeled in. good for practicing with.

do the same but have wire running though the hockey ball
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Postby seaangler » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:10 pm

EoinMag wrote:Two options that I know of, slice a tennis ball open and pop the lead into it, .

someone mentioned this to me recently, do you have to glue the ball back together or whats the deal with it???????

rgds
J
seaangler

Postby paddyc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:28 pm

when i used tennis balls (many moons ago) i just made a small cut and pushed the lead into it and it was fine, but hockey balls are better IMO as there solid so you just drill a hole straight through..
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby seaangler » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

thank you paddy,

is a hockey ball accurate enough to practice casting with, by that i mean would a 140m cast with a hockey ball go the same distance on a beach

rgds

J
seaangler

Postby paddyc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Being that the hockey ball is alot less areodynamic than a plain beach bomb if you can get 140m from the ball expect more from just a lead, the idea of the ball is that it does not go so far when out practicing, hence less effort needed to retrive, and they weigh a touch over 5oz if i remember right, hope this helps.....
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Return to Casting