overrun

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

overrun

Postby lumpy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:38 pm

was out fishing today and noticed that as i was releasing the spool during the cast i tended to get a very slight overrun which cleared during the cast, its something ive never noticed before. i was using an aerialised otg with a small swing to load the rod and half mack fillets on a pulley with 5 oz gripper. reels were 525 mag and 6500, any ideas what may be the cause of it or how to alleviate it...

neil
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby fishinmidget » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:51 pm

that always happens to me....i think it is just the acceleration on the reel at the release
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby lumpy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:53 pm

most likely, just would like ta know is there anything i can do, i usually do adjust the the mags during the cast so possibly start off with them higher and lower them during the cast to maximize distance
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:24 pm

not enough breaking at the start of the cast, your on the egde of blowing it up which is where you want to be when on the court but IMO you need a wee bit more breaking when fishing.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby mann » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Lumpy man get your hands on july 07 sea angler see page 50 John Holden Shows the basic's in casting each month and i just seen a prob just like yours,
he wrote [ SUFFERING FROM BACKLASH? Tighten the drag until you get a feel for the cast then back it off to give the usual hint of free play on the spool if control is a problem cast against a lightly set drag, use your oldest reel though! ]
hope this helps.
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby lumpy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:20 pm

thanks for that. have it but actually havnt read that article. cheers

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby coaster » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:20 pm

As said above, Breaking and reel set up should sort this out but I find this problem is greatly exaggerated if your shock leader is too long. The reel is just settling into the cast and then the sudden change in line diameter causes this.
:oops: :oops: :lol:
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/powerpaul/a.jpg[/img]
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

same as

Postby mann » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Good God man that looks much the same as the nest i made this week with my first try at the pendulum cast needless to say i went home early from the field,
it may be the same reel looks like the 525 super mag in the picture,
i have to say it was my fault an not the reel,
what can you do but grin and bare it,
I'm in bad need of lesson's,
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby lumpy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 pm

2 things of note here is that i have the mags set at their fastest and i have a pretty long shock leader to try and combat the spider crabs and shingle which distroy end tackle at times at this mark. will try setting the mag slower and loosening them as the casts progresses to try and maximize distance, touch wood i didnt have any overruns or snap offs but i think i could only get away with it for so long

cheers boys, neil

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Postby paddyc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 am

Lately i have increased the lenght of my shock leaders from 6-8 turns up to 10+ turns on the reel when ready to cast and have had no problems so far, infact i seem to have less crack off's. What makes you think the sudden drop in dia results in more blow up's paul,? IMO the lead is still on a skyward trajectory for around 150yds-ish (depending on the casters abbility obviously) before it starts to settle in as this is where alot of people get fluff ups and line back-lash if it dosnt happen at the very start of the cast.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby coaster » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 am

I have been casting with the 525 super-mag for a while now with little or no probs. I gave a mate a cast off it and he had a crack off. When I was fixing up the line and replacing the shock leader I realized that I had no scissors/knife with me so just stuck on the rest of the leader that I had with me. When I say that it was long I mean prob twice as long as you need.
For the next few casts I got big fluff ups just as the leader knot left the reel and on the 4Th cast.... Have a look above. :)
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Casting