Cork casting ?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Cork casting ?

Postby Dave Jolly » Sun May 06, 2007 10:39 am

Just wondering if anyone in Cork is interested in getting together for casting sessions, or is there any thing planned in the cork area ?
Dave
Dave Jolly
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby Seancelt » Mon May 07, 2007 10:34 am

Great idea Dave, if it starts off i would gladly avail of it as my casting needs all the help it can get.
All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!
Seancelt
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby lumpy » Mon May 07, 2007 10:45 am

i would be quite happy to. would be nice to get a few pointers.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Deleted User 689 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Dave great idea i need all the help i can get
Deleted User 689

Postby coaster » Mon May 07, 2007 6:22 pm

Well all. Why not join the casting club that is about to have its first session in the next couple of weeks.
Its going to be held in Dublin buy there are people coming from all over the country
coaster
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Dave Jolly » Mon May 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Joining the new casting club is all very well, the problem is that like the last casting club south of the border it is based in Dublin, and thats just too far away to go for a couple of hours casting.
Unless of course they are planning to have casting clinics in various places around the country.
If that were the case and it was going to be a regular thing, and it was going to be affiliated to the uksf etc then I would join.
Dave
World Champion Gold Medals are the new Black!!!
Dave Jolly
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kstaff » Mon May 07, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Dave,

the club is not based in Dublin, we have secured a venue in Naas Co Kildare which is ideal. Sportscast Ireland is open to all regardless of their location and ability. At the moment there is no plan to hold get together's in specific locations around the country but it is certainly a good idea. It is something which could be looked at in the future.

The club meets will be a very worthwhile day out as there are some very experienced casters going to attend, there will be a wealth of advice and knowledge on hand.

Hope to see you in Kildare!!
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby petekd » Tue May 08, 2007 8:17 am

I'd like to see something down this neck of the woods Dave, was only discussing this with another fella last night. Might involve a trip to an instructor for the day or something and split the costs followed by working together on a regular basis in a bid to improve. I would love to be able to attend the meets in Kildare but I know well that between boat and shore comps, work and family its just not going to happen. Looking at the calendar now, I dont have a free weekend until July sometime. Kildare might be handy enough for the majority but its the best part of 3 hours from down here. I'd be more likely to attend a UCC meet whilst up North for the weekend TBH.

On saying that, I wish the lads the best of luck with their new club.... Maybe next year lads eh....
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby paddyc » Tue May 08, 2007 8:49 am

Fantastic idea dave, it would be really great to see another casting club in ireland it would make for some great interprovincials further down the line and can only be good for our sport of both casting and fishing, all you need are the bodies and a venue, everything else is very straight forward, if my memory serves my right there was a few lads that used to travel up from the cork/kerry area for the IMASA casting days back in the 90,s some good casters too also from what i hear Paul Noble is living down that neck of the woods, he ran Surf Cast Ireland
and was also a member of the UKSF and would be worth getting in touch with him.
If there is anything i can be of any help on just say the word.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Dave Jolly » Tue May 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Paddyc, thanks for that.
I remember the few guys way back in the imasa days, thats when i learned to cast with steve gillett, an old buddy of terry carroll.
He's based in kerry, and still gives casting lessons i believe.
Kildare sounds great, but I for one have very very limited time, and i can't afford to spend 6 hrs of it driving for casting a couple of hours, as benifical as it may be.
so we now seem to have a few people interested in the Cork area, I reckon if we can get 10-12 we should see what we can organize.
If you can get in contact with Paul noble it would be great.
If anyone wants to chat about this i'm on 0862536389.
I am quiet happy to meet guys and go through the basics with them on a strictly amateur basis.
Dave
Dave Jolly
SAI Hammerhead

Postby petekd » Tue May 08, 2007 9:01 pm

I'll take you up on that offer Dave if you dont mind. I'll be in touch in the near future.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby AG » Tue May 08, 2007 9:46 pm

dave just wondering why the club would have to be affiliated to the uksf for you to become a member ? tony santry had alot of intrest down there in casting maybe he would help with your new club ?
AG
Need your account moneys for new Zziplex

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby rocketman » Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 pm

count me in too guys more the merrier in the same boat as pete and dave kildare is a bit of a trek and i reckon the intrest exists in the south just waiting for someone(s) to organise

rocketman
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Dave Jolly » Tue May 08, 2007 11:26 pm

I was wondering about the u.s.k.f affiliation as there already seems to be a "surfcast Ireland " club affiliated to the u.k.s.f and the contact name is Paul noble, I also see that the ucc are affiliated,
I feel the affiliation is important, as they are the federation by which most european casting organisations have based there rules and procedures on.
As for Tony, I don't think he was really all that interested in keeping up the casting around Cork, I guess most people were not willing to pay for lessons back then, and it kinda died a death.
Dave Jolly
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Seancelt » Wed May 09, 2007 3:57 am

I'm in the same boat as most of the lads down here, I work nights and sleep days (if I'm lucky), and the arrival of my newest bundle of joy 3 weeks ago rules out all chances trips to Kildare.
The chance of learning to cast different styles and improve my distances is very welcome.
As for others joining I'm sure G.Wyse would be interested too.
All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!
Seancelt
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby paddyc » Wed May 09, 2007 9:41 am

Dave it goes without saying, our club will be affiliated to both IFSA and the UKSF. SurfCastIreland was the last casting club i cast with and run by paul but i have not spoke to him in a few years now as i said last i heard was he was living down your way, if i can get in contact or get a number for him i will forward it on to you but you would prob have the best chance being down there, maybe ask in some of the tackle shops they might know either way i hope it all comes together
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Marty Harrison » Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 pm

I`ll be in east and west cork over the summer more than a few times fishing and would be glad to help a few people out on a prearranged beach at low water sometime if they want.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby MAC » Wed May 09, 2007 11:02 pm

Fair play Marty... Guys, Marty has cast plenty of times in Tournaments and any get together will see you improve (hopefully :D )

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby g.wyse » Thu May 10, 2007 10:30 pm

Seancelt wrote:As for others joining I'm sure G.Wyse would be interested too.

Since i've been forced to volunteer :shock: and i've taken enough abuse over my casting(you know who ye are, 50 yard cast :twisted: :lol: )put me down for any casting courses etc.,informal or otherwise.
g.wyse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby petekd » Fri May 11, 2007 7:57 am

Ah Gav, dont take it to heart. Loads of fish within 50 yards...... :D I'll happily volunteer to teach you how to cast over 50 yards, after that, its over to Dave.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Next

Return to Casting