The New girl

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

The New girl

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Just though I'd share a few pics of the new girl.....

Abu 6500 Flordia Orange with Peter Coogan (I think) Mag conversion. It has a QTC style cage. It had four mags in when I got it, but fitted another 2 more because I was terrified with the speed and spin time of the thing, even with full mags. Spin time now is about 30 seconds, down from about a minute plus. When I get used to it, I'll take the magnets back out. 8)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/mcclean2k/misc/ResizeofDSC_4679.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/mcclean2k/misc/ResizeofDSC_4678.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/mcclean2k/misc/ResizeofDSC_4677.jpg[/img]

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby round_ourway » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:20 pm

Looks like you mean business with that bad boy there. I would say the new girl would do some serious damage on the field
Boca Bearings .com - Orange Seal

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby ckpainters » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:35 pm

What did you give for it Kev ??????????????????????

Colin
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Kraken » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:19 pm

sweet 8)
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby IDPearl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:32 am

Nice reel! Just a thought, is it anticlockwise or clockwise to wind out the mags?

I have a 7HT Turbo which is anti-clockwise and 2 6500's which are clockwise - not a good recipe! I think I'll either have to change the 7HT to anti-clockwise or the 2 abu's. The Abu's are Chris Macey's conversions.

Ian
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby fishinmidget » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:32 am

hey ian, who did your 7ht turbo mags? i am really thinking of getting some for mine.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby IDPearl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:13 am

Mine was a custom job by Jon Abbott...and I think he had someone else do the work, so I can't help you there I'm afraid. Chris Macey does them, but it will be a clockwise movement to wind out the mags.

Mine flies! Have to lower the line level by 2mm to keep it under control.

Sounds like your casting is coming on nicely!
When's the next video?

All the best,

Ian
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby paddyc » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:24 am

its a pete coogan conversion alright, clock wise to wind off the mags as he used the ultra-mag set up, hi speed 6-1 gear ratio with SS abec-5s.
Kev i have some more fibre blocks and will sort you out for the matching size that fits.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby MAC » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 am

As you can probably guess, I stole it on Paddy when he wasn't looking :lol: Yep, Clockwise to wind off the Mags. Still got too much to think about when setting up and hitting the cast, so haven't even give much thought to the mag direction. Remindes me of a driving lesson I had way back. I was driving along concentrating on the driving, the rod, the people and all the basics, when the instructor told me in a gruff voice "you can turn the wipers off now if you like"........... I was so busy trying to drive, I didn't notice that the drizzle had stopped and the wipers were SCREACHING accross the window... :lol:

Now of course, I can do 120, while eating my breakfast, indicating & listening to the radio. :roll:

Roll on the new rod....... Hopefully Henry will give me a call today.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby kstaff » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 pm

That's it the gloves are off Kev, I'm getting something made by Nasa that will spin for an hour with Full mags and the cage is designed by Neil Armstrong. If nothing else it will give the Birds somewhere to nest!! Ohh yeah and it runs on Shuttle fuel!!

"We're gonna need a bigger field" !
kstaff
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 308 times

Postby MAC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Well....we had our first row.... and on our first date as well...... :roll:

Nice crack off on the first chuck....... :oops:
What can a guy do.......
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby paddyc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:39 am

kev now that i think of it i might not have oiled the bearings before passing it on to you :oops: ,,im not 100% sure but best to re-clean them and if you have some red rocket feul to start, again apoligies if this is the cause of your 1st tiff with her, she is really quite sweet when you get to know her,,but like all fem,s she can bite back :wink:
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Return to Casting