18g plug

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

18g plug

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi guys,

I'm interested in giving this weight a lash. I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction, equipment wise.

It seems that the 2500 is the reel of choice. Is there any specific reason for this? I have a 6500 sports mag and was thinking of getting a mag conversion for this reel and going from there...... Any thoughts?

Can you get a 2500 without levelwind, or will I need to convert?

Rod wise, If anyone is selling a Bass surf rod, I might be interested. In the meantime, I am going to lash away with a heavy bass spinning rod and work from there.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby paddyc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Kev,I know marty from the UCC is casting the lighter stuff, not sure if he has gone that light but im sure he will point you in the right direction..
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

18g plug

Postby Pat » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:32 pm

I cast plugs this size and lighter but tend to use fixed spools for the job. Find that type of rod makes all the difference. Was for years using bass rods and pike rods until brought a friend of mine, who normally fishes for salmon, out. He was getting a mighty cast on his rod. Been using a salmon rod ever since.
Pat
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:50 pm

I did see Marty was throwing a few of these. I noticed that he was using a 2500......... Looks like a search on flee bay is in order.

I also noticed that he's up to 105 yards :shock: , so I have a bit or work to do... :wink:

I have a couple of decent spinning rods Pat, and will be sticking to them for the fishing. For the Casting, I will need to move to something with a bit more bite. I am hoping that learning to cast this weight well will help with the fishing.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby Marty Harrison » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:03 pm

117yrds youll be looking for Kev :D Unnoficial Irish record as far as i know. I will be looking into that for future.

Im just through the door, will get something posted gear wise later. If you need any plugs our club has a supply of them and we could sort summit out for you.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:22 pm

117.....WTF :shock: Well done mate....... Super cast......

Looks like I've even longer to go now. :lol:

Would really appreciate a few plugs Marty, if the club has any spare. I can paypal or post a few quid. Whatever works best.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:08 am

Marty,

Are you casting a 2500 size multi or fixed spool :?: I have one of the shanghai 2500's.... I removed the plastic cog and flushed the bearings and added some yellow rocket fuel. No real spin time, so it will be interesting to see how it does under load.

Hopefully I will have something to cast next week. I'll touch base with you to sort a few plugs and go from there.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby Marty Harrison » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi kev,

I use a converted abu 2500 for my plug casting mainly. i also use a diawa emblem 5500 for fixed spool pluging. The 2500 had 2 mags in it i added myself. both reels are spooled with .25 stren and i use .35 red ice leaders. I have a spare cage for my 2500 so i didnt mind cutting the top bar out of the old one and putting a conversion bar but if I only had the orig cage i would remove the levelwind and its internal gearing and leave the top bar probably.

[img]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6249/25xl0.jpg[/img]

I have a chinese 2500 sized reel here that i have magged and replaced the bullet on but i have had no joy with it at all, there is a large gap the whole way round the spool to the cage and the line goes into it all the time as it runs too fast. If you slow it down enough to hold the start of the cast together it then kills the plug in the air at the end of the cast. The spool is also very heavy on it coming in at around near 3 times the weight of a standard 2500 spool so this is prob contributing to the prob as once it is started up it keeps going big time. Heavy spools are not ideal as you want the reel to start up as easy as poss to not steal any of your distance as every cm counts in the plug world.

For fixed spool i use a wychwood 4lb tc spod rod and have managed 109 yards with it. For the multi i have tried various rods, centuary ttul, penn viper, conflex nevada, bass rods etc. best i have used is the nevada i think but it would be nice to have an extra foot on it as its 12 as it stands. My best results where done on the penn viper lol. That was a cast under proper icsf conditions (no wind .25 main line .35 shock) on a measured court, it went 117yrds summit. Speed, timing and technique are everything on these wee boys :D

heres a vid of a practice cast that isnt bad on the beach

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1DzeqmJ2I

How many plugs you after? we have the icsf 18g and 7.5g in white plastic. They work out at £2 each after postage from the states etc.

It would be great to get some more people casting plastic here, its great fun and safe to do anywhere you got a bit of space. We could then get a team together for the icsf worlds once everyone up to standard.
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:40 pm

Nice looking cast Marty. You seem to have the timing really well. It's amazing how good timing makes it look easy, but I doubt it is. I'll check and see how much sterling I have laying aroung the place and contact you about the plugs. When I get sorted with stuff (always need more stuff) We should hook up for a cast or ten.

Are the 2500's easy to mag? I'll keep an eye on ebay for one and see where we go from there.

I notice that the multi is in the high up position. Is this to cut down on the amount of shockleader??

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby paddyc » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Well done marty,, 117yds thats a super cast.
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Postby round_ourway » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:37 pm

Marty u made that look effortless mate. well done sir
Boca Bearings .com - Orange Seal

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby JimH » Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm

M

whats the world record at this distance please?

thanks
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby JimH » Thu May 10, 2007 5:57 pm

i'll try again

Marty

whats the worls record at this weight/plastic (18g) please?

thanks
Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby paddyc » Fri May 11, 2007 10:22 am

http://uksf.sea-angler.org/records.html

Not too far off marty, I hope you break it soon as it would be great to see some world records over here. 8)
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Return to Casting