abu 6500 sports mag

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

abu 6500 sports mag

Postby Kraken » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 am

Hey all,

just bought myself one of these for €180 (good deal/bad deal???)

anyway - gonna use this for casting etc -

my question is .....

are these good to go outta the box or do I have to do anthing to em first b4 I start casting (add or take mags/lube/tension?)

john.
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby IDPearl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:44 pm

They are OK out of the box if you're just starting out. They have a disadvantage in casting in that they have a plasic toothed cog attached to the spool which acts as an air brake. You may want to consider replacing this with a brass speed bushing later or get yourself a Mag Elite when your distance needs to improve.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Pat Spillane » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Good reel for light stuff but no cranking power or quick retrieve for dirty ground. I thought you should be able to get them a lot cheaper ???? As your aim is casting then look to the experts for advice. I intend to use similiar when it gets going so I will be watching this closely.
The Martini angler:- Anyfish anywhere anytime
Pat Spillane
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Conor C » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:38 am

i use it on rough ground and on beaches etc and have never head any problems with it
Conor C

Postby MAC » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I have one of these myself Ian....... Any thoughts on where I can gut the brass bushing?

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby IDPearl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 am

Hi Kev,

Chris Macey does the conversion with offset single mag knobby. It comes with a brass speed bullet to replace the nylon cog and installation instructions. When I was looking, he was asking £17.50 inc post within UK, which sounds OK to me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/idpearl/SportsMag.jpg[/img]

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.macey/

An alternative could be to take it down to a local precision engineering shop and get them to make one up for you.

I opted to keep the reel as it was and bought Abu 6500 Mag Elites instead, which are far better for casting.
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks for the Link Mate.

The Macey conversion looks good. Have a Florida Orange with mag Conversion that looks like it will be the casting reel of choice for 125 and 150. I was thinking of getting the conversion for the sports mag and maybe using it for some of the lighter stuff..... Specifically the 18g plug..... Any thoughs :?: Not sure how good that set-up would be for the lighter stuff.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Postby clog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:24 pm

I tried spinning and plugging with a mag elite a few years ago but could not get the reel casting properly with such a light weight. Even with the only 2 magnets and no brakes the weight of the lure wasnt sufficent to pull line off the reel properly. In the end I gave up and bought an abu 5500 ultracast multiplier (smaller size reel) and it works great.
clog

Postby paddyc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:01 pm

i think the reels used for the lightest leads and plug casting are 2500,s up to 5500,s along with older style ultra-mag 1,s and you can still get some sweet ones on evil-bay quite reasonable.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby IDPearl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:03 pm

Kev,

To be perfectly honest, I'd keep the Sports Mag for fishing, but wouldn't waste money on messing around with it for casting.

For the 18g weights, Keith White has been playing with them and gives some very good write-ups and video footage on his site http://myfishcasting.org/casting_forum/ ... um.php?f=1

Do a search for 18g and there's loads of info there. Because the 18g is so light, any restrictions - such as that plastic cog - will dramatically reduce your distance. I'd say you'd be better off looking at the 5500's.
Malaysia/Singapore Species list: Grouper, Catfish (Salt water), Puffa fish, Barracuda, Sea Pike, Gar Fish, Giant Trevally, Leopard Murray Eel, Grass Carp, Sardine, Rainbow Runner, Chinese Mackerel, Flying Fish, Stingray, unidentified reef fish, Dorado (Dolphin Fish), Gelama, Ketuka, Flathead, Striped Tuna, Chicken Fish, Red Snapper, Fingermark Snapper, Emperor Snapper, White Snapper, Golden Snapper, Sweetlip, Blue Spotted Ray, Sailfish, Parrot Fish, Whiting and a whole bunch of others!
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys,

Looks like I'm now looking for a 2500 or 5500..... decision to be made.

Might have to put the sports mag up for sale, as I nearly always use the Penn 525's for fishing........ Decisions, decisions.
:?

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Return to Casting