reel position

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

reel position

Postby MC » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:15 pm

I have read a few posts in this forum and was wondering reel up or down, does it make a difference?
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:19 pm

i find it really awkward to cast with the reel down.. but thats probably just me :D
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby fishinmidget » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:24 pm

i found it really awkward to cast with it down to start with but you get used to it and now i prefer it like that. i now find it difficult to cast with the reel up.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MC » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:31 pm

but does having the reel low help in casting and does it have any effect on the rod action?
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Postby IDPearl » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:54 pm

I too used to fish reel up, switched to low and won't look back. I Still had one rod with the seat in the high position, used it once and cut it off as soon as I got back - couldn't get on with it!!

As for rod action, reel low gives you a good grip on the spool as you should be pulling round with your lower (leading) hand. This then allows you to grip the rod tight with your upper hand. If you do have a reducer, it is easier to reel in, so you leave the reduced out to cast, cast, put the reducer back in and wind in. I have a captive twist & lock reducer which is fantastic. Twist it, pull it out, twist again to lock it.
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby paddyc » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:02 pm

i think its just a personal preference, i did cast high reel before but not long enough for it to sink in and then changed to low reel one day and it all just felt better/easier and have not looked back since,, i dont think it makes a diff really, remember paul kerry cast with the reel up 12ft AWT and did 292yards in a comp and had many more big casts not too far off the magical 300.....
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Kraken » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:50 am

Is there any recommended distance where the reel should be from the butt of the rod??

Thinking of going reel down as I cant grip the spool fully in the high position resulting in the spool slipping halfway thru the cast :cry:

john.
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Norfolk and Goode » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:08 am

Kracken, reel down once you get used to it is IMO the only way to go!

Why? When using the reel up ie. right hand at the top, there is far to much strain put onto the right hand and a great deal more to think about, again IMHO. If using you reel up then you top hand has to obviously (dependent on casting style), control the spool, also controlling the twist that the rod has when putting in the power stroke. Your cast is a great deal slower and smoother with no kick at the end. It's hard to explain fully in words why I feel it is superior, but again what you can guarantee is someone will find the reel up the butt suits them. I found when switching over to reel down it did feel odd, but the odd feeling only lasted for about 10 casts. Reel down IMO helps you can control the line lifting much easier by feathering the spool with you left hand when needed.

If I was you either turn/slide your magnets up to full or put in large brake blocks and give it ago. But remember SLOW you cast down quite alot. You will probably find you rod feels alot softer and you cast goes further for the same effort. :wink: 8) 8)

Steve
***Tight lines to one and all***

SACN number 0728
Norfolk and Goode
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:17 pm

started using the reel down, thanks to the lads at the ulster casting club who are helping me out, back to topic the reel down the butt is easier to use as i felt the rods action was softer and it was easier to get the cast in the right direction as i could use my right hand to control the rod without worrying about the reel, I am now converted and use all rods reel down
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Lee337 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Congratulations on your new P.B. at the UCC day MC - Will have to keep an eye over my shoulder at the rate you are catching up. 8)

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MC » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:11 am

what can i say lee with Sean and all at UCC i may even beat you someday, :lol: stop laughing it is possible :lol:
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Kraken » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:51 am

Well......

tried it with reel down last night and cant seem to get into it at all :cry:

Gave it 4 casts and each time the spool slipped on me almost resulting in a birdie - just escaped it thankfully :lol:

Moved the reel back up and hit 175 yards approx.(with 4oz lead) but as said in other posts the lead was hitting the ground on most casts.

Gotta say though - that reel was screaming for mercy (no mercy for you!!)
Nice to hear it howl though :D :D :D :D
Kinda scares u the first time u hear it really howl :shock: :shock:

Just to ask the question again..

Is there a prefered distance the reel should be at from the end of the rod when using reel down? What distance are people using?

john

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Drew » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:08 am

Funny that.... I tried casting with Reel up (After about a year down) last night, and it felt as awkward as sin! :lol:

But to Answer your Question mate, its personal preferance, I'm fishing with no reducers, so I've got the Reel set about 18cm up the Butt to give a bit of room on the retrieve.
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby fishinmidget » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:14 pm

im using about the same distance as drew on my carbon metal.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jonny » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:44 pm

MC wrote:what can i say lee with Sean and all at UCC i may even beat you someday, :lol: stop laughing it is possible :lol:

I'm not laughing anyway. :evil: I think I'm just there to get beaten by by all the new guys that attend the meets.Since you already beat me with the 200gm I sure the rest will soon follow.

As for reel position I'd say 99% of the time I use it down the butt.As Drew has said once you get used to it it's hard to revert back.
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Drew » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:54 pm

I don't own a G5 anymore, so I'll probably drop it to about 10cm considering I now have a Rod w/Reducer, llf! :lol:
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby Kraken » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:35 pm

Cheers for the replies 8)

was using reel down at about 4 inches from butt - seems to be too low down based on what others are doing

will move it up a tad and try again :roll:

john

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Conor C » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:49 pm

i casted with the reel down for the first time on sunday and it was so much better i thought
Conor C

Postby MAC » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Just switched to the reel down a couple of weeks ago, to try bash a few leads out in the field. First few casts were way to the left. My left hand thumb was holding on for too long. Managed to sort this out in the second session. Now I am loving it, and will more than likely stay with the reel in this position. When casting leads only with the long drop, I feel like I have much more time and seem to get a better loading on the rod because of this. Even tried my first pendulum the other day while out casting with KStaf. It was messy, but managed to hit a few.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Casting