Servicing Reels

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Servicing Reels

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:17 am

New to multis and i know they take more work than FS reels...How do u service Abu Mag Range and the 525 Mag Range.... wasnt to sure how often either.. any advice welcome...
Mr_Green

Postby paulocallaghan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 am

1st time i took my mag elite apart it took me 16 hours to get the fecken thing back together!!!!!! my advice is to get someone that knows what they are doing to show you first and then DIY next time
paulocallaghan

Postby paddyc » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:45 pm

I servise my abu casting reels 2-3 times a year, and as i dont really sea fish thats more than enough. Apart from the standard rince once you have gotten back from fishing to service simply take the reel apart after taking the right hand end plate off to expose the gears get rid of any greasey build up found anywhere inside while cleaning the individual parts (old tooth brush is best) making sure no dirt or dust is present then give the gears, main drive shaft and pinion a bit of greese and re-assemble, then soak your bearings in zipo lighter fuel for 4-5mins and then place on some kitchen towel to dry (again 4-5mins), then i place 2-3 drops of the chosen oil on top untill its all soaked in and replace back into spool. It really is that simple, hope this helps.
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby countryjimbo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:17 pm

paddyc wrote:give the gears, main drive shaft and pinion a bit of greese and re-assemble

What's the best type of grease to use?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing rods.
countryjimbo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby James Barry » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:37 pm

Fairly sure john o brien services reels inside in the shop...if thats any help!!
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby Donagh » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:39 pm

MY run at it is you should carry out a full service on a penn 525 about once a year (if only I took my own advise) at most unless it takes a dunk in the water when it should be done ASAP. To fully service it take the reel fully apart and wash with petrol. Reoil the bearings with red rf and evrything else should get WATER PROOF grease. The drag should not have any oil put on it. I've found the 525 alright to assemble and disassemble but not everyone would say the same. I take it apart on a table with the parts in sequence a trick I learnt taking apart rifles. Taking off the handle plate theres a spring around the lever that can fly out.

In between then I oil the spool bearings once every 6 months whether they need it or not :lol:
or sooner if I'm having problems

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:35 pm

sound out lads... just wash and oil up certain parts after its been out...but fully service the reel 2 times a year...
Mr_Green

Postby fishinmidget » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:52 pm

just one thing....if it has been badly sandblasted, then open it up and give it a full service immediately. i had an unusable 7ht Turbo on the second day of the inter-pros because of sand. Thank god for abus :D
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Casting