Fishing pendulumn/aerialised OTG

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Fishing pendulumn/aerialised OTG

Postby Donagh » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:45 pm

Whats the difference between casting a fishing pendulumn and aerialised OTG?

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:03 pm

set yourself as with an otg cast then lift the lead off the ground flick it backwards and then punch as you would with a otg...........i think!
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby m.b3 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:14 pm

aerialised otg is a flatter cast. the lead comes online with the rod at end of inswing. pendulum can see lead rising higher on inswing....
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Donagh » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:20 pm

By flatter cast do you mean the angle of the drop to the rod is smaller before the power stroke. Would this be due to the outswing being more in line with the axis of casting intialy?

Whats the difference between fishing pendulumn and a full pendulmn?

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby stevecrow74 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:15 pm

the casting i do is aerialised OTG...
just get enough back swing, drop the rod tip as the lead is moving behindand as the lead is about to start dropping let rip...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wqGdINNbVAE

i'd presume the aerialised OTG is easier for those with the reel in the up position to get the distance than pendulum in the up position.. have tried both and can get more power in aerialised with reel in up position..

as for pendulum and full pendulum is there a difference or is it the same cast made to sound complicated :?:
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby beachcaster » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:42 pm

stevie there is a fishing pendulm and a full blown tournament pendulm ,two completly different casts altogether.when you see a full blown pendulm as used in the casting field the arc is much bigger and far more powerful.
beachcaster
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby stevecrow74 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:50 pm

cheers for that.. i always wondered was it the same or two different casting styles.. well that cleared that up for me...
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby m.b3 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Donagh wrote:By flatter cast do you mean the angle of the drop to the rod is smaller before the power stroke. Would this be due to the outswing being more in line with the axis of casting intialy?

Whats the difference between fishing pendulumn and a full pendulmn?

Donagh

firstly i am no expert!! but...

a fishing pendulum is more compact.

often less body rotation and maybe a simple step into the punch pull.

a full pendulum is more exagerated- some casters even begin the cast facing away from the sea stepping around and turning into the punch pull.

the lead often travels in a full circle b4 the punch pull.

the drop can be longer- u can get away with this because you are casting from level ground.

a full pendulum is possible on flat beaches but only when its bloody safe!! never had a snap off on a full pendulum but wouldn't take chances.

a fishing pendulum gives a good distance, is simpler and faster. it is also easier to execute from shingle and with broken round underfoot. the angle is not as wide.

---
a flat cast(aerialised otg) is simple and can be used anywhere! this is handiest for casting in strong winds that hamper swing of pendelum, when wading or when u have a wall or rocks behind u.
the rod can be held out directly behind you. the lead is swung at 90 degree angle to rod. when parallel to ground it is swung back in the opposite direction. it will rise parallel to ground at 90degree angle to rod. this loads the rod quickly. and u can now turn and and hit into the cast. the only flaw of casting this way is that it is hard to get a high trajectory. however it is a good cast into a strong headwind as it punches into wind. a plain lead will go over 150 yards with this cast on calm day. the reason for being called a flat cast is because rod stays on level plain until punch pull whereas pendulum changes plane from the swing to body rotation.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Donagh » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:13 pm

so an with aerialised cast looking away from the sea the lead is swung to the left at 90 degrees to the rod and the right at 90 degrees to the rod. So its a straight pendulmn action where the lead swings perpendicular to the flight of travel. 'Ive never cast like that only fishing pendulmn so. I thought I saw chris feeney cast like that in steve videos. I couldn't make out steves cast as I find working out casting from watching the video clips difficult. I can only access youtube back in wicklow so it will be a few months before I look at it again.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby nthclare » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:23 pm

At the end of the day it all depends on the anglers ability and how they are built fitness technique etc as I have seen small guys out cast big guys visa versa the pendulum cast is all about getting a pendelum in the swing then giving it the old punch pull i start my cast facing the 9 o clock position as I cast from the opposite direction to most due to a back injury a few years ago i end my cast in teh 6 o clock position it doesnt always go straight lol but most of the time it does i nearly do a swing of a full 360 degrees in my cast as I dont have the power to start my swing at the normal position so need the extra bit to power it up but it does go a long way with out blasting my bait all over the beach
nthclare
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby m.b3 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:48 am

Donagh wrote:so an with aerialised cast looking away from the sea the lead is swung to the left at 90 degrees to the rod and the right at 90 degrees to the rod. So its a straight pendulmn action where the lead swings perpendicular to the flight of travel. 'Ive never cast like that only fishing pendulmn so. I thought I saw chris feeney cast like that in steve videos. I couldn't make out steves cast as I find working out casting from watching the video clips difficult. I can only access youtube back in wicklow so it will be a few months before I look at it again.

Donagh

i'll have a look at the vid Donagh...
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:58 am

not exactly like that Donagh. it's more relaxed and simpler!
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:59 am

give me a shout when ur in wicklow- get a bit of fishin/ castin in?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby fishinmidget » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:11 am

If you were looking at Chris's cast from a different angle it would be easier to see. basically it is an overhead thump but with a very exaggerated swing. it puts a lead a fair distance though.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Casting