Casting while wading

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Casting while wading

Postby Donagh » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:21 pm

Are there tips for casting after wading out or if theres onstructions making a high clearance?

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Mr_Green » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:00 pm

i suppose one trick would be to learn how to cast so farfrom the shore that u wouldnt need to wade :wink: :P ...but dont look at me, im just a learner
Mr_Green

Postby lumpy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:36 pm

have had to try this a few times when fishing for ray. what i found best was to shorten my pulleys so i had a 14inch hook length, so i could hav a longer drop length, and to use a modified pendulum with little rod movement but just a flick of the lead to load the rod.was hitting 100yds with this set up
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby donal domeney » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I would never wade beyond knee hight to cast for distance. That suites my casting style and drop on the trace lenght. I even hold back on casting until any wave would have pass in. Shortening you drop lenght only defeats the whole purpose and distroys you casting style. Try to find what the shortest distance your lead is from the ground during your cast and use this as guide on the depth of water you can go into.
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Donagh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:45 pm

I'm ok just below knee hight but after that its hit and miss with the lead scratching off the water. I've been trying working out in my own mind how far to wade up to and still be an advantage. I don't do alot of beach fishing so I don't get much time to practice. So the replies have been very helpful.

Thanks
Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:07 pm

What way you trying to cast?

If there is rotation involved keep you right arm higher during the cast or shorten the drop. A short drop will still be just as effective as long as you adjust the timing to suit.

An aerialised OTG would be your best bet, similar to what lumpy is doing i would say.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Donagh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi Marty,

What do you mean by rotation. I'd say my cast is like an aerialised otg but I'm not to sure as the casting instructor didn't say. Its the same as on the john holden site that describes a fishing pendulumn.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marty Harrison » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:01 pm

By rotation i mean the angle you body/upper body travels through from the direction where you start the cast to where you finish it.

As you using a pendulum cast when you turn after the back swing dont let you right arm drop and even try lifting it a bit this way the lead wont come as close to the water as you come round to finish the cast.

I presume you are wading on a very shallow beach and that it actually gives you a distance benefit when casting as you can get out very far to achieve "knee depth". If not go closer to shore or back to the beach and cast properly from there.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Donagh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Right I get you on the rotation bit. Its not just one mark but a few. When fishing beal strand in the comp brought it back into mind. I think I get better distance there when I don't wade. Just down the road in littor at low water I've waded out cast and had to pull the sinker in to get the rod on the rod rest. I'm still trying to work out when to wade for distance and when not to. And from fishing the estuary I get a shock on the open coast when I have deal with waves when trying to cast. Puts me right off. I'll have to get my timing with waves as Donal does but I suppose its all practice.

Thanks
Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:18 pm

Donagh i asked some casters a similar question before. in relation to shingle rising up behind u or obstructions such as rocks are in your way. i got a mixed response. i will have a look over as some of the info may be relevent to u. bare with me!! just back from beach :)
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby donal domeney » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:40 am

Donagh wrote:I'm ok just below knee hight but after that its hit and miss with the lead scratching off the water.
Thanks
Donagh

You just answered your problem.

Just wait until that odd breaker go'es past you first. Things like rotation is a new casting style and means going back to the practice fields again. Stick with what you got and try to improve on that. The reel down the butt helps this and slows down the casting speed but still adds distance to your cast. The casters on line should be able to give you better advice on all of this.
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Donagh » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:25 am

The Littor mark can be waded out to over a 100 yards and still be just below waste deep so thats what got me thinking can I still swing a lead at that stage. Very tiring wading out that far for every cast and I tend to lose stability in the water over knee height due to the air in the waders.

I don't tend to clatter into rocks when there behind me casting but the idea of them being there can put my cast off. Mark have you tried going back to an otg cast for steep shingle beachs. John Holden seems to think its the way to go in these situations.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marty Harrison » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 am

donal domeney wrote:Things like rotation is a new casting style and means going back to the practice fields again. Stick with what you got and try to improve on that. The reel down the butt helps this and slows down the casting speed but still adds distance to your cast. The casters on line should be able to give you better advice on all of this.

Seeing as Donagh already said he is using a fishing pendulum from the john holden site rotation is already part of his casting style. Improving what he already does is exactly what he is trying to achieve surely?

As I already said an aerialised OTG is probably the best way forward or if you are going to pendulum cast while wading shorten the drop and lift you right arm as you come round as that is what controls how low the lead drops on the way round, to do the latter means you will have to adjust your timing slightly. Achieve this and you have learnt a new technique to help you deal with various fishing situations.

Marty
SACN Membership #0702
Marty Harrison
SAI Hammerhead

Postby lumpy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:25 am

agree with marthy, adding rotation a cast is not a very difficult thing to do, all it requires is rotation of the low back in relation to a fixed lower limb. as well as this learning a new technique is not a bad thing, the more different techniques you have in you armoury the more addaptible you are to different situations. what i would do donagh is try the method marthy describes in a field but with setting your self up as to mimic wading and see can you get the hang of it.
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Donagh » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:20 pm

I might of caused a bit of trouble with my ignorance of casting techniques. Is the difference between aerialised OTG and fishing pendulumn body rotation?

I had been casting straight back with the axis of casting before the inswing while facing the target with the right foor back a few inchs. This was how I was thought or at least I think it was as its been a couple of years. I said there I wasn't told what the casting style was but actually the instructor said it was pendulmn OTG in a round about way. In the past few months of been rotating the body to swing the lead out at an angle to the axis of the cast as in the John holden diagram. This has made the cast easier for me to stay in contact with the lead and distances have improved.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Casting