Beginners tips?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Beginners tips?

Postby Mr_Green » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 am

any1 have any tips for a beginner on a multi? ive been hitting low distances for bass fishing but to lash it out would be a challenge...my main diffuculty is my grip and i cant change it for love nor money...in golf its called a cak handed grip, my left hand is on the butt and my right is just on the spool, im right handed...so its a mad swing but it works for me...any tips anyway if i didnt confuse u lol?
Mr_Green

Re: Beginers tips?

Postby teacher » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:15 am

Mr_Green wrote:my left hand is on the butt and my right is just on the spool, im right handed...so its a mad swing but it works for me...any tips anyway if i didnt confuse u lol?

Eh, you've confused me.

Assuming you're using it up butt then isn't your grip normal one?? Left hand lower down, right hand holding the reel?
Last edited by teacher on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Lee337 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:15 am

Can you post a picture of your grip on the rod/reel?? It would make it much easier to understand what you mean.

Lee
Even a bad days fishing is better than working.

[url]http://www.ulstercastingclub.org[/url]
Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Kraken » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:24 am

Hey Dave,

If youre using the reel in the "high" position, as outlined by teacher, then it seems perfectly normal. :)
However if you are using the reel in the "low" position then you need to swap hands..... :?

That is.... put left hand on the reel and right hand on the rod
:lol: :lol:

john.
2009 Species:- Whiting, Dogfish, Bass, 3 Bearded Rockling

PB Casting Distances:- when I hit 200 I'll post it here

IFSA No.
SACN No. 0714

Steal a little and they throw you in jail.....Steal a lot and they make you King!!!!!!!!
Kraken
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Mr_Green » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:45 am

here we go..finally!!
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (63.73 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Mr_Green

Postby dbrock » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am

grip looks good enough you should try down the butt,,, and instead of trying to lash the cast as you said practise more on a smooth controlled cast gradually putting more power in it of the ground always seems to be user friendly

if you do trydown the butt your left hand will be on the reel and right on the rod
dbrock
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 58 times

Postby fishinmidget » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:52 am

just one thing.....the reels the wrong way round :lol:

That does look fine but just what reel are you using? the spool looks a bit high for a mag xtra(supermag xtra?) and that could be your grip problem.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby teacher » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:56 am

You know you're supposed to hold the thick end and wave the pointy end about in the air??? :lol:

That grip looks similar to mine. It might just be a matter of getting someone in-the-know to look at your curent style and make minor adjustments. Unless you want to get into tournament casting, you'll probably won't have to change much.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby James Barry » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Thats the same way i grip the rod! tried the reel in a the lower position b4 wasnt pretty cut my wrists nicely havent bothered 2 try it again,, does it make much of a difference when the reel is in the lower position??
><(('> ...... ><(('>
James Barry
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby Lee337 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:47 pm

Other than the reel being mounted the wrong way around, I don't see much wrong with it. Depending on how well you can cast, you may or may not gain an advantage by moving the reel down the butt and using your left hand to control it ( I personally don't feel there is an advantage until you have a reasonable style ).

The best thing to do would be to go along to an instructor or perhaps one of Andrew & Paddy's casting days - you would learn more in a few hours from tuition than you would in weeks by reading books and watching dvd's on casting.

Lee

Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby IDPearl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Cool tat's dude!

:twisted:
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Mr_Green » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:58 pm

IDPearl wrote:Cool tat's dude!

:twisted:

My only affliction :twisted:
Mr_Green

Postby donal domeney » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Mr_Green wrote:here we go..finally!!

Try tucking your finger on the other side of the coaster. This will bring the reel nearer to your thumb and you'l ger a better grip on the spool. Use the thiner of the 2 coasters on the bottom reel seat.
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby paddyc » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 pm

yes, finger is on the wrong side of the coaster is the only thing i can see wrong there, but if the problem persists then maybe you should look at using less line on the spool or change reels and go for ones that sit lower to the blank...
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby Mr_Green » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:27 pm

its a mag extra, and a century reel seat , there coaster sits in the middle of the reel, i added the extra coaster to spread the pressure...... ive got a abu ambasadeur 6600 c3ld for the bass fishing im goin to be doin, the mag extar is for when i get good and wanna cast way far!! i never over fill the spool, a bit under... out of 10 casts the other day, 1 minor birdie...but i was only casting from a pier and couldnt fully swing the rod, max distance was 40 yards...
Mr_Green

Postby Jonny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:28 pm

As Lee has said try and get along to one of the casting days.I used to try and improve my casting by reading books and trawling the internet nothing worked until I started attending the Ulster casting club meets.It was only once I learnt the basics that I started to understand a lot info that I had been reading in the past.At a guess I say you could triple your 40yrd cast after one day of decent tuition.In saying that I'm still casting OTG (after nearly a year)but I'm still more than happy with the results so far and intend sticking with the OTG until I'm sure I've got it right before moving on to swinging the lead.Just try do it bit by bit and take all the time you need,dont try and run before you can walk as it will end up in disaster(from my limited experience anyway :oops: ) :roll: :lol: .
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby MC » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:01 pm

i would agree with johnny here as i went to a ucc meet and put 25yards on my cast after talking to Sean for 15 minutes, i am practicing when i can and hope to improve further, its amazing how little things can make a big difference
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby Lee337 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:44 am

Jonny wrote:As Lee has said try and get along to one of the casting days.I used to try and improve my casting by reading books and trawling the internet nothing worked until I started attending the Ulster casting club meets.It was only once I learnt the basics that I started to understand a lot info that I had been reading in the past.At a guess I say you could triple your 40yrd cast after one day of decent tuition.In saying that I'm still casting OTG (after nearly a year)but I'm still more than happy with the results so far and intend sticking with the OTG until I'm sure I've got it right before moving on to swinging the lead.Just try do it bit by bit and take all the time you need,dont try and run before you can walk as it will end up in disaster(from my limited experience anyway :oops: ) :roll: :lol: .

209yrds o.t.g. Jonny. I would say that is getting it pretty right.

Pendulum Time :D :D :D

Lee337
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Jonny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:14 am

Lee337 wrote:
209yrds o.t.g. Jonny. I would say that is getting it pretty right.

Pendulum Time :D :D :D

Not just yet Lee,Sean has a flaged up few things I still need to work on.When I correct them and and get to the point I dont need think about every stage of my cast every time then I'll take the plunge to the dark side.That dosent mead I wont have the odd play though. :shock: :twisted:
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby round_ourway » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:31 am

Definitley going to have to get to a meet. Even practising casting can be tough with getting the time to do so.

Johnny 209 yards is klass.
Boca Bearings .com - Orange Seal

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times

Next

Return to Casting