Whats the difference between fresh and saltwater fly rods?

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Whats the difference between fresh and saltwater fly rods?

Postby IDPearl » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:08 am

Just wondered what the difference is. I have a fresh water fly setup, but can I use this for saltwater?
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Conor H » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:22 pm

Better to go for a weight or two up. Use a 9 aftm rod and line. Also better to get a reel suited to saltwater . Suppose like everything else it depends what you are after.
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
-----------------------------
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby liamd » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:47 pm

the adive on a no. 9 rod is bang on, helps if it is no longer than 9ft 6, 9 ft being optimum. a saltwater reel is best but can b got at a very reasonable price. airframe and ecodisk are grand. couple it with 100ft of 30lb backing and a cheap floating and intermediate lines. mullarkeys do a great line for about 5 or 6 quid. After all u dont want to be worrying about good line getting destroyed by rocks and limpets etc. rinse everything after every trip and u will b grand. also a stripping basket is in order, can be as simple as one of those blue mushroom punnets u get in supermarkets. i find them good cos they have a little drainage. stick one of those bungie chords on to it to attach it to ya about waist height and ur laughing. leader should b about 10lbs going up to 15lb if there is weed and about 9 -12 ft long. basicly leave it as long as the wind will allow.
liamd

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing