any saltwater flyfishermen on the east coast

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Postby liamd » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:32 pm

anyone here that casts a fly on the east coast?
liamd

Postby Richard o hora » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:28 pm

are you looking for information or giving as I would like to try a bit of sea flyfishing myself but need a few pointers, flies and places to try
From donabate myself
Richard o hora

a joint exercise

Postby liamd » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:05 am

well looking for someone to try some spots with, i have most of the basics so anything i know i would b only to happy to pass on.wouldnt mind trying an estuary up ur direction for schoolies
liamd

lets hook up

Postby richard o hora » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:46 pm

I'm up for it ,the best time for me is evening time week days with the kids and that
richard o hora

Postby liamd » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:29 pm

thinking of giving it a try this 2nite actually if u r on
liamd

where

Postby richard o hora » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:07 pm

where do u plan to try
richard o hora

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:56 am

Liam it might be worth trying the area between Sutton dinghy club and the Lions head in Howth (just before the Baily Lighthouse). Fish at low tide, ideally in the evening, and bring a pair of chest waders as some of the better spots may require you to do some wading to allow you sufficient room to cast. I managed two bass there last weekend, and I'm heading back tomorrow or Thursday for another spinning session. I'll let you know how I get on. There are a whole range of marks here, some into deeper water which are ideal for spinning, others over submerged boulders and weed banks which look great for surface poppers and fly fishing.
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby richard o hora » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:48 pm

where in sutton did u catch them i am from sutton myself now living in donabate would love to go back and give it a shot
richard o hora

Postby richard o hora » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:13 pm

how did u get on the other evening Liam
richard o hora

Postby liamd » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:43 am

stayed local in dunlaoghaire, fished just to the right of the 40foot. had pollock on the fly. i love catching them on it.
they r only small ones best to about a pound but they launch themselves into the air after the fly. great to watch them
liamd

Postby richard o hora » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:58 pm

`what type of fly line do u use floating or sinking and what type of flies did u use what length of line do u use between the casting line and the fly
plan to give donabate a good fishing next week as i am on holidays for the week
richard o hora

Postby liamd » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:03 pm

i use a floating wf 9 and a wf inter although for proper pollock fishing in the west they use a fast sinking line to get down to them,
liamd

Postby m.b3 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:05 pm

liamd i suggest u try spots whereby u have caught fish before. this way your confidence will b high and u know the fish are there. it is then only a matter of changing the fly to get takes. Steve's advice on spots is good. i would love to try it myself but lack of transport and varying conditions makes it tough. i wish i could be of more help but if i can think of somewhere suitable i will give you a shout....the main problem is finding somewhere that you can back cast.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby richard o hora » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:13 pm

tried the rocks to the right of the car park in portrane and the donabate side of rogerstown esturary but no luck
going to try near the martello on donabate beach today
richard o hora

Postby liamd » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:33 pm

was out last night, the wind was a nightmare, over my right shoulder too. i decided to call it a day after i got a smack of a prawn fly on the back of the neck!!!! the welt from it is still there for all the world to see!!!!! but could b worse, heading off to kerry for 2 weeks to catch some real fish!!!!!
Liam
liamd

Postby richard o hora » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:19 pm

same problem that u had wind got the better of me yesterday
am i pissing against the wind fishing in the afternoon or should i fish in the evening for bass or early morning
can anybody give me a few names for seatrout flies for seafishing
saw a few seatrout the other evening not big ones moving about
richard o hora

Postby Jhon65 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:48 pm

Im intrested in stating a bit of fly fishing but have no idea of really where to start has anybody able 2 help
Jhon65

Postby liamd » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:31 am

sea trout will take the usual sandeel imatations but they need to be much smaller hook size than for bass. they have been taken on plugs in the bass while bass fishing
liamd

flies

Postby troutman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:34 pm

to catch sea trout in saltwater try fishing big doules such as the silver butcher donegal blue and black pennel fish in estuarys near rivers early and late otherwise your wasting your time strip the flies fast and with jerks.
troutman

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing