Smoothie season

Fri May 17, 2024 2:51 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to ask if anyone's heard of any smooth hounds being caught around the east/south east coasts?
Finished up my semester today and I'm rearing to get out. Lovely weather for it too at the moment.

Thanks!

Re: Smoothie season

Mon May 20, 2024 3:30 pm

I'm told that there is few showing up around Dod's rock and Ballyhealy.

Fished Ballyhealy Sunday afternoon for two hours. Had 1 small flounder and a small Gilthead.
The baits and rigs were destroyed by spider crab.

Pull this girl from Cork Harbour last week 109cm good and fat looking full of pups I hope.

SMOOTH HOUND 109.4cm MAILING.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 21, 2024 9:28 pm

Nice one Donal, that's a beaut there now. Fine healthy size.

Thanks a lot for the info, might try a very reliable mark so over the next week, even if the winds aren't great. Would love to get the ball rolling ASAP this season.
Cheers! :)

Fri May 24, 2024 11:11 am

A few turning up at Clones and kilgorman and ballyhealy , i got a 103cm on Rostoonstown near dark.Am hearing reports of very poor water quality on the East coast from Arklow down to Cahore so I would avoid it. I haven't seen much in the news and not sure if its linked to the oil spill but have seen videos of yellow sludge water conditions, Maybe some one here can shed some light on this .

Mon May 27, 2024 5:40 pm

A few hounds caught at dod,s rock yesterday.
I had one about 75-80cm

The grandson pulled out this one while training with the Irish under 16 team.
1716841256859.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 27, 2024 9:46 pm

some useful tips in here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35016&hilit=smooth+hound

Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:50 pm

donal domeney wrote:A few hounds caught at dod,s rock yesterday.
I had one about 75-80cm

The grandson pulled out this one while training with the Irish under 16 team.
1716841256859.jpg

Fantastic catch! I blanked last week at a pier that usually provides the goods, but I'll keep at it now.
Appreciate all the replies. They're here!

Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:22 pm

Hit one about 5lb last week, plenty of double figures being caught in the south east atm