Shore tope advice

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Shore tope advice

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 am

Hey all,
I've decided this year I'd love to catch a tope from the shore. I'll have a lot of free time on my hands and will be putting in the hours for one over the summer. I know it will take a lot but it would be such an achievement for me.
I've a certain Wexford mark in mind that they're caught from and I know there's lads on here who are experts at it- just wanted to know about what tackle is needed. I have a suitable rod for such fish and was just wondering what reel would suit the job- I had in mind a Daiwa SL20SH. As for mainline, obviously heavier than normal but I'm not sure specifically what's required and in terms of rig body breaking strains. I hate the idea of wire traces on such fish- are they necessary or does something like 100-200lb mono suit? I might be way off here so that's why I'm asking. Any info on types of hooks needed and such is greatly appreciated. I've read that people use freshly caught mackerel- is it necessary? In a flapper setup or a whole fish?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance lads
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Shore tope advice

Postby chris power » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:02 am

Hello teegerstk to answer a few questions for you. The slosh would be suitable for the job use 20lb to 25lb line with 80lb shockleader iam sure you can use a lighter main line and and large bs shockleader up to you realy but what I use is 20lb main line 80lbs shockleader. I use for my rigs are a pully rig with 100lbs main line to 100lb snood then a wire bite tip I flemish eye and crimp on either a 8/0 circle hook or 8/0 j hook and the pennel circle hook a lot of people prob will say not to use wire or pennel hook ect but in my opinion the light wire and pennel set up gives better presentation of your bait hooks stay proud and the fish is always perfectly hooked. I find the heavy mono on your snood it tends to coil and I don't think the bait is presented correctly but that's just my opinion for bait fresh is best but the best nights fishing on tope we had the worst mackerel it was pure mush and was a few days old and we had them up to 40lb on this bait so maby the older the better I don't no but fresh bait gives more confidence tbh. To break it down all you need is a good drag a strong enough rod strong rig body they will rub you of very easily if you don't good strong knots good bait and time if you have any questions pm if you want

For this message the author chris power has received thanks:
SiDtheFish (Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:51 pm)
chris power
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby corkconian » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:09 am

I'm no expert but this is what I use

Bait:
fresh mackerel is best but frozen will work. I like to just cut off the fluke of the mackerel then cut it down the side from the jaw all the way down then bind it back together. Gets a lot of blood out.

Rig:
Up and over or pulley, panel or not it's your own choice.
I would suggest using a small biting trace of wire 175lb 49strand afw is good and suple, then at least 3-4feet of 200lb mono minimum for a rubbing resistance against their skin.

Hooks:
I like a bronze 6/0 o'shaughnessy just in case you lose the fish the hook will rust. Saying that cox and Rawls meat hooks 6/0 are as good a hook as you can get for tope.

Rod, reel and line:
once the rod can comfortably cast the bait and a 7oz lead your fine, slosh 20 will be grand dont need huge stopping power or line capacity. Your mainline 20lb should be fine. Realistically your not going to put more than 10/12lb of pressure on the fish so dont worry too much, seen lads catch them on 12lb but I wouldn't recommend it.

When fishing for tope always remember to have the drag off and the ratchet set or else be prepared to chase your rod down and into the water. Depending on the area your fishing try to keep the lead as light as you can go, less resistance when they pick up the bait. If the ratchet goes on the rod and stops dont reel in straight away, tope run in packs and it may have been a fish grabbing the bait to get away from the pack then dropping it. More often they do return for it and just be ready.

For this message the author corkconian has received thanks:
kieran (Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am)
corkconian
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 am

Hey, checkout irish angling adventures on youtube, theres a 9min video up there on it, think it was james that landed it actually, the ground looked clean in this video so keep that in mind. I plan on having a go off cappa myself this year. Fingers crossed.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby cd07 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:36 am

Try and keep it simple. I had a 35lb tope last summer in wexford and I was using a penn surfblaster and and akios hellraiser rod. 30lb braid to 60lb shockleader. Pulley pennell with a rig body of 80lb mono and 2ft of partridge wire trace which is the best imo. It's very supple and doesn't feel like wire. Hooks were 8/0 cox and rawle meat hook and a sakuma manta 6/0 for the pennell. Hooked two tope that night 1st of which took rag and squid intended for a a smoothie which quickly busted me off! And took a whole fresh Joey mack. Hope that helps good luck!
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm

cd07 wrote:Try and keep it simple....

corkconian wrote:I'm no expert but this is what I use...

chris power wrote:Hello teegerstk to answer a few questions for you....

Thanks for that lads. I have a few penn affinity 7000s that would suit the job since they're similar to the surfblaster. Could've been getting carried away there :lol: Obviously there's still a good few months to go but I'd like to be prepared. No doubt casting such a big bait won't go far, I presume tope come in pretty close on summer nights?
I appreciate the advice lads, absolute wealth of information!
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm

Go Big or Go Home wrote:Hey, checkout irish angling adventures on youtube, theres a 9min video up there on it, think it was james that landed it actually, the ground looked clean in this video so keep that in mind. I plan on having a go off cappa myself this year. Fingers crossed.

I've been watching James' videos since he first uploaded, great channel. I think the ground I'm fishing is clean enough so hopefully snaps shouldn't be a problem. Or would a tope just rip it free?
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby cd07 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:47 pm

Tope will come in fairly close after dark so distance isnt a massive issue. If you can throw a large bait 60 yards or so at night then you have every chance
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby mickser » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:48 pm

I have already caught mine anybody want to know where I caught it PM me and I will let you know ?
mickser
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby corkconian » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Teegerstk wrote:
Go Big or Go Home wrote:Hey, checkout irish angling adventures on youtube, theres a 9min video up there on it, think it was james that landed it actually, the ground looked clean in this video so keep that in mind. I plan on having a go off cappa myself this year. Fingers crossed.

I've been watching James' videos since he first uploaded, great channel. I think the ground I'm fishing is clean enough so hopefully snaps shouldn't be a problem. Or would a tope just rip it free?

Nice to hear people are watching

If your worried about getting stuck use a rotten bottom. Better off losing the lead then losing a trace with a tope attached. Ya in darkness tope will come in pretty close.
corkconian
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby ste c » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Slosh 20 is perfect for the job iv caught them on 15lb line and 18lb line 20lb is more than enough with a 70-80lb shock
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby baitdigger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Match your mainline to the bottom you are fishing over, you can get away with the lighter lines on clean sand but why risk it on mixed grounds?
30 lb suffix Tritanium worked well for me
I like 7/0-m or 8/0 Varivas Big mouth extra hooks, just a single, the second hook can do way more damage than a wire trace imho, again match hook size to you bait, whole joey or half a mackerel fresh is best but the lads over here catch them on frozen herring.
as for set up I like a running patternoster, just like a running lead but with a tail of mono weaker than the mainline on the running swivel that way if you get snagged you can break it out.
If you

Be prepared to put the hours in until you find where they are running and when they are feeding

Good Luck
The Truth is often stumbled upon by men, most of whom pick themselves up and hurry along as if nothing ever happened.
https://baitdigger.wordpress.com
baitdigger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby Teegerstk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Very Keen to try for a Tope too, anybody can let me know of where i can try?
Im in Cork and I believe i won't get around here?
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi guys Ive visited this topic before along with questions about bass and smoothhound and all the tips I got lead to my first bass and smoothhound so thanks a lot for that but unfortunately no tope yet and Im still trying a few beaches along the east coast from Dublin heading south.On reading these tips I notice I was doing a couple of things just slightly wrong so I will rectify that but in the meantime if anyone has any good general directions as to good areas it would be much appreciated.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Clive O Driscoll wrote:Very Keen to try for a Tope too, anybody can let me know of where i can try?
Im in Cork and I believe i won't get around here?

A simple Google search and off i go tomorrow, how bad
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Its Ofishal » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:34 pm

Good luck Clive let us know how you get on.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Its Ofishal wrote:Good luck Clive let us know how you get on.

Will do, sure God loves a trier :)
Heading to Rosslare Point
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:20 pm

Its Ofishal wrote:Good luck Clive let us know how you get on.

pm sent
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby SiDtheFish » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi lads. Great tackle advice for tope. Only thing to add is to find the deeper channels, close in, on any mark. Tope are big and run through the deeper channels, especially where that gets them to the back of the surf zone. Check out your local venues at the bottom of a big spring tide (especially with the equinoxial springs this month) and draw diagrams. Update as channels move. I have a big folder of local underwater features from walking the dog and drawing at the same time (NOT for general use!). Check out Aquascribe waterproof paper on the net, it's the biz and waterproof completely when drawn on with biro
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum