Orkney Strikeliner 16 footer - questions

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Orkney Strikeliner 16 footer - questions

Postby kieran » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 am

Hi everyone

Thinking of finally burning a whole lot of money (!) and going back to becoming a dinghy angler... given the shore angling this year has been crap and the boys are old enough and excellent swimmers. There are several Orkney strikeliner 'packages' near me and some information from present or past owners would help.

The boat would be for use in Clew Bay mostly, and would not be venturing out far although we'd look to drift off known marks including rocks and peaks that show at low water and the like, so there would likely be some chop in the waves and being Clew Bay, there can be quite a swell even in the inner Bay and even on calm blue sky days.

We might bring it as far as Purteen for use off the rocks at Rusheen Point and behind Inishgallon Island, but I'd expect we'd launch mostly from places like the Old Head and Mulranny and scoot up and down the coast, with maybe a some trips out towards Clare Island. We're definitely not talking Bills Rocks, just to be clear! I've operated from a GRP 14 footer in the past (OSM Darragh) but that was on the east coast, so I reckon we'll need the extra size for Clew Bay. Is 16 foot enough?

My main questions relate to engine size - most of the offered boats come with 2 or 4 stroke engines in the 25 - 30 hp range with an auxiliary in the 5-10 hp range. Is that enough? Is there a big difference in fuel efficiency between the 2 and 4 stroke engines? I know the early 4 strokes had lots of mechanical problems, are there year ranges / brands to be avoided? One of the packages has a 4 stroke Yamaha and overall its seem unreasonably good value - should I be concerned or delighted? Is there anything beyond a compression test that can be done on an engine? Are there any signs of wear and tear that can be reviewed by a non-mechanic like myself?

With thanks in advance for all advice offered, PMs welcome
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Orkney Strikeliner 16 footer - questions

Postby greg » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Kieran
if you check out phils site stealthcroft on youtube you will see a review of the 16ft version and also look at the onyermarks stuff on youtube he uses the 19ft version for years.plenty of info on youtube.
common sense not very common
greg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Hey kiren, what engine did you go with in the end? I am looking to get at16ft orkney next year and have the same question. Except I will be limiting myself to kells bay and courtmacsherry. Have zero interest in going a mile out on at 16ft boat.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby JimC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Go Big or Go Home wrote:Hey kiren, what engine did you go with in the end? I am looking to get at16ft orkney next year and have the same question. Except I will be limiting myself to kells bay and courtmacsherry. Have zero interest in going a mile out on at 16ft boat.

You only think that! A nice day and you have marks for a nice reef a couple of miles off...... gone :D :D It would be hard not to!
If thinking a skrikeliner consider a strike liner 16+. Semi-displacement hull and so has a turn of speed when needed.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Baby steps Jim :) will be limited to what ever pops up on done deal at the time. I just realised I never got to my point in my last post. Is there a chart showing the recomended engine size based on the type of fishing. Most people talk about max engine size lol. Less is more to me. Dont wana be paying for and hauling at 25hp around for a 10hp job.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby Rob Millard » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 am

Strikeliner is rated max 25hp I think
Longliner (mark 1) max rated 15hp
If you’re going for a strikeliner go for a 25, anything less will frustrate you.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SiDtheFish » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi
If you've still not bought it, we used a strikeliner 16ft and 25hp yam 2stroke for salmon netting (tagging). We got a 13 knot cruise at 3/4 throttle and great economy and sea keeping
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Rob Millard » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:29 pm

I had a strikeliner many moons ago. It had a 2 stroke 25 Merc, and I could manage close to 20knots WOT with 2 on board, as was said above, a smaller engine will frustrate you, and you’ll be working it very hard. Strikeliners are good little boats capable of travelling offshore in suitable weather. 4 strokes will be more efficient than 2 strokes.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby SiDtheFish » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:40 pm

So have you bought it yet?
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby JimC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:22 am

SiDtheFish wrote:So have you bought it yet?

The original post was 2015!!
JimC

Postby Rob Millard » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:38 pm

The original post was 2015

He's probably bought it, sold it, and bought a Warrior :lol:

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks:
JimC (Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kieran » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Actually I had access to a Warrior and never got out on it. :twisted: And now since I am more than 5 K from the sea... bugger! :shock:

The good news is that I HAVE BUILT A BOAT - a 13 foot American flat bottomed skiff design (Google 'poor boy skiff' but don't trust his measurements).
Overall it has probably has cost me around €500 in terms of materials. The epoxy is very expensive even if you buy it in 5 kilo packs.
My version is stronger and heavier (1/2 inch marine ply and epoxy + sawdust filleting) .
It has higher deadrise (about 6 inches more to the sides) owing to the weather we get here.
If anyone wants to have a crack, I can offer a lot of advice in terms of things to avoid, and just practical stuff... like buy a circular saw.
I also bought a router and an electric planer.... and had to replace the sander!

I hope to have it out on the local river over the October bank holiday weekend, weather permitting. Waiting for the paddles to arrive! Pike lures are set and ready.

Thereafter I expect a 3 or 4 HP should be enough to allow it troll around on my local lakes. Need to find the thermals and the gas canister life jacket.
Looking for a second hand 3 or 4 HP two or four stroke, would welcome a post from the more knowledgeable people here on where and how to buy...

Building was a big education and very glad I started with a simple design, but I am actually thinking of going longer (out to 17 foot) and bigger in the beam (for stability in Clew Bay).
This skiff boat is just 3 foot wide at the base (4 foot wide at the gunwale), so its designed to fit on the roofrack of the Zafira!!!!

So that's the status report! Here is a recent picture - as you can see I can't fit much more in the Garage!

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yihwP8QpWiiUtJSMMUmFHFdKFOTu39_a/view?usp=sharing[/img]

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:51 pm), mickser (Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Rob Millard » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Cool, well done.

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby JimC » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:37 pm

Holy flat bottomed no keel skiff! :)
Nice looking build. Be more comfy than a kayak I'd say :)
JimC

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum