Fishfinder/Chartplotter combo or separate units

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Fishfinder/Chartplotter combo or separate units

Postby Caww76 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:59 am

I am in the market for a decent fishfinder and chartplotter. I currently have a Furuno GP-1650WF built in over the wheel but when I had to get the software re-flashed to take a C-Map card I lost the sounder function. I am looking at the Garmin STRIKER Plus 9sv but am wondering would it make more sense to have 2 different units and place the fishfinder in an area where I can see it better when I am fishing.

I do like the practicality of having everything in one neat unit and a single wire to the battery. Grateful for any advise.
Caww76
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Fishfinder/Chartplotter combo or separate units

Postby Vladimir » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:33 pm

I was involved into some pike competitions from boats. So we have always had two fishfinders. The first one is used to explore the bottom and its structure (full screen) while the second one is a backup of the first one working on a different frequency (first half of the screen) + map of the area for navigation on the second half of the screen

For this message the author Vladimir has received thanks:
Caww76 (Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 pm)
Vladimir
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby JimC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Many small boat skippers like to have the "comfort" of two independent units. This may be a moot point as units like the Garmin are very reliable.
Is it the case that the Striker Plus is primarily a fish finder with built in gps but no plotter/chart built in? I think it would be important to have full plotting/chart on my gps. If you can manage with a split screen - plotter and fishfinder then a single unt will be fine.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Caww76 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:55 pm

JimC wrote:Many small boat skippers like to have the "comfort" of two independent units. This may be a moot point as units like the Garmin are very reliable.
Is it the case that the Striker Plus is primarily a fish finder with built in gps but no plotter/chart built in? I think it would be important to have full plotting/chart on my gps. If you can manage with a split screen - plotter and fishfinder then a single unt will be fine.

Thanks Jim, I had to have another look at that unit online, some sites just mention that it is a GPS/fishfinder combo and others say it is a chartplotter/Fishfinder combo so all a bit confusing! It is pre-loaded with maps called BlueChart® g2 HD charts so I assumed it was a chartplotter. I might take a look at it in Chmarine, the new technology is unreal compared to my current unit!
Caww76
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby donal domeney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm

I have the Striker Plus 5cv https://www.chmarine.com/garmin-striker ... ransducer/ and it has only a gps/plotter with no map. It was got as a replacement fish finder. The extra features of a plotter and built-in Quickdraw Contours mapping software is a nice extra I did not have with the old fishfinder.
I have a Garman GPSmap 550 as my main navigation unit.

You would need to look at this if you want a full gps/map https://www.chmarine.com/garmin-echomap ... ransducer/

this is some of the contour mapping I put on to it that is not on the 550
cont.jpg

This is what it looked like on the Garmin 550 at the same time

gps 550.jpg
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Caww76 (Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:50 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby JimC » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Caww76 wrote:
Thanks Jim, I had to have another look at that unit online, some sites just mention that it is a GPS/fishfinder combo and others say it is a chartplotter/Fishfinder combo so all a bit confusing! It is pre-loaded with maps called BlueChart® g2 HD charts so I assumed it was a chartplotter. I might take a look at it in Chmarine, the new technology is unreal compared to my current unit!

If it's preloaded with g2 HD charts then you are away for slates!
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum