Poolbeg/codling

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Poolbeg/codling

Postby basshunter10 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi lads, have any of you ever given poolbeg a winter to see if it gets any codling?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
basshunter10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Poolbeg/codling

Postby mickser » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes I have and have caught them even as far back as the new toll bridge. At poolbeg they are out far into the channel plenty of lug and mussel cocktail baits catches them rarely had them on crab there and there are loads of squid there if you fish for them if the pollution has cleared.
mickser
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?

For this message the author mickser has received thanks:
basshunter10 (Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 pm)
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby basshunter10 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:09 pm

mickser wrote:Yes I have and have caught them even as far back as the new toll bridge. At poolbeg they are out far into the channel plenty of lug and mussel cocktail baits catches them rarely had them on crab there and there are loads of squid there if you fish for them if the pollution has cleared.
mickser
Thanks Mickser, anything over 45cm? I've wanted to have a go for squid for a while so might give that a shot as well. If you have anymore info on times if year, tides etc id be very grateful

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
basshunter10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mickser » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm

No nothing over that size but plenty of 3/4 lbs an incoming spring tide brings them in.I do not use gripleads just let your trace flow with the tide. There should be plenty of squid there at the moment as sept/feb is when they spawn full moon is best for them although you do not have to fish at night for them just have the right lure which I use a pink squid jig
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?

For this message the author mickser has received thanks:
thekid (Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm)
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum