Frozen Lug

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Frozen Lug

Postby Dave F » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Anyone have much luck using frozen lug compared to fresh? I've tried it a few times but never had more than a couple of whiting and was wondering whether there's a particular way to use it. Mostly been fishing along from about Killiney down to Courtown or thereabouts and haven't done well at all with it. I've heard it's great for flats and codling but never had either on it.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Re: Frozen Lug

Postby Munstersinc74 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Had the same problem as you but persevered with using it and am happy that I did. It yielded some decent flounder and codling last winter..... I would recommend using it, but like anything, if you are not confident in it then maybe it's not a bait for you.
Munstersinc74
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby m.b3 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:10 pm

myself and my mates used frozen black lug on the Dublin,Wicklow and Wexford beaches for years. extremely handy bait to have as it can be used again and again provided you dont keep it in paper. a small piece the lenght of the shank of your hook, say a size 6 or 4 aberdeen, tipped with a tiny piece of mackeral will take whiting,flounder,dabs,coalies, cod and rockling among others. generally found fresh lug/rag better for bass. persevere with it- it catches fish!
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Vladimir » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 am

I tried to use frozen lugworm. This blows once put on hook even at frozen condition, need to use a lot of elastic to keep on the hook.
May be ragworms are better... I also heard to use salt before freeze them, in this case they will be more solid... Will try next time..
Vladimir
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Big difference between frozen black wraps that you get in the tackle shop and frozen blow lug. The wrap in the shop has been gutted and is more tacky and can be refrozen. The blow lug turns to soup when it defrosts, it can still be used but not ideal grand for small hooks but never got anything interesting balling a few of them on to a hook with bait elastic.
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby m.b3 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 am

Dave F wrote:Anyone have much luck using frozen lug compared to fresh? I've tried it a few times but never had more than a couple of whiting and was wondering whether there's a particular way to use it. Mostly been fishing along from about Killiney down to Courtown or thereabouts and haven't done well at all with it. I've heard it's great for flats and codling but never had either on it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QQYcoyQks10
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum