Florida

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Florida

Postby eoghanb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A few sessions while on holidays in Florida,there is a small lake beside where we’re staying so it would be rude not to have a go ,didn’t bring any gear with me but managed to get a little rod and reel combo in Walmart for €10 dollars and a few bits of tackle about €25 dollars all in ,any dark colored plastic worms were great for the bass ,also had a few on mepps type lures and a small gold spoon ,got a load of crappies on live worms ,and a good few catfish on cut up hotdog sausages ,also had two decent bowfins as well on the hotdogs ,great scrap from them ,biggest bass about 2lb ,biggest crappie about 1.5lb ,bowfin about 4lb and catfish 3lb .tried a night session caught loads of catfish but called it early as I realized I was being stalked by a 14ft gator ,I was able to tap him on the head with a 5ft rod ,and with the water surface only a foot below me on the dock it was time to go ,at least the seals that usually follow me don’t try and eat me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For this message the author eoghanb has received thanks: 4
chuckaroo (Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:01 pm), corbyeire (Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:02 pm), kieran (Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:20 am), nicefish (Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:31 pm)
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Re: Florida

Postby kieran » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:20 am

Really well done on the bowfins. I skunked on them over five days. Crappies are beautiful fish aren't they? 1.5 lbs is very decent size for them. Well done.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby eoghanb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 pm

I got the biggest one on my second cast with a blue fox mepps type lure
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby eoghanb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:36 pm

The bowfins are a serious scrap I wish I’d got more but the catfish were hitting first
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Sean Mac » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 am

Looks like an awesome fishing experience man well done. Its amazing how as fishermen we always are looking to the waters while on holiday and grabbing any opportunity to cast a line. Well done

For this message the author Sean Mac has received thanks:
Urhoke (Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm)
Sean Mac
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 124 times

Postby eoghanb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Yea it worked out well ,the lake was a stones throw from the house,and Walmart 2mins up the road,it was amazing how good the fish was considering the size of it ,kind of like how good our lakes used to be about 20yrs ago .i was talking to a lad fishing one day and he said that the lake had a few 10lb+ bass ,I’d have loved to hit one of them
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:27 pm

class. love catching new species. its amazing the variety around the world! thanks for sharing.

Sean Mac wrote:Looks like an awesome fishing experience man well done. Its amazing how as fishermen we always are looking to the waters while on holiday and grabbing any opportunity to cast a line. Well done
+1
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Urhoke » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:56 pm

eoghanb wrote:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A few sessions while on holidays in Florida,there is a small lake beside where we’re staying so it would be rude not to have a go ,didn’t bring any gear with me but managed to get a little rod and reel combo in Walmart for €10 dollars and a few bits of tackle about €25 dollars all in ,any dark colored plastic worms were great for the bass ,also had a few on mepps type lures and a small gold spoon ,got a load of crappies on live worms ,and a good few catfish on cut up hotdog sausages ,also had two decent bowfins as well on the hotdogs ,great scrap from them ,biggest bass about 2lb ,biggest crappie about 1.5lb ,bowfin about 4lb and catfish 3lb .tried a night session caught loads of catfish but called it early as I realized I was being stalked by a 14ft gator ,I was able to tap him on the head with a 5ft rod ,and with the water surface only a foot below me on the dock it was time to go ,at least the seals that usually follow me don’t try and eat me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch, congratulations! I did the same thing when I was on vacation in this real estate in lake Como, Italy. Just couldn't walk around the lake and simply enjoy the views. I had to go fishing! I rented a boat for a day with equipment and that was the best day of the whole holiday to be honest.

Urhoke
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Urhoke wrote:Nice catch, congratulations! I did the same thing when I was on vacation in this real estate in lake Como, Italy. Just couldn't walk around the lake and simply enjoy the views. I had to go fishing! I rented a boat for a day with equipment and that was the best day of the whole holiday to be honest.
Does "equipment" refer to that cast net.??
And, what species did you catch, if indeed you caught anything?
Ta
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers