Ringaskiddy, Cork

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Ringaskiddy, Cork

Postby Dulux » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Hello all.

I posted a few months ago about fishing in Baltimore, after spending a few weekends down there and asking about I was advised to either see about a place on a charter or move further along the coast as there's not many, if any (safe) spots there. I live in Cork so I've been thinking about fishing closer to my home than when I get the use of a house down west.

The plan is to head into a tackle shop over the next few days and get rod, reel and what I need (I've about €100/€120 to spend.) Then, Ringaskiddy is (sort-of) within walking distance from me (it's a bus, walk or lift for me as I can't drive.) Can anyone clue me into what I should be looking out for down there?

The last time I walked around the harbour there was when I was about five years old. There was the slipway (what is the old slipway now, I guess) and a field edged by sand and marram grass. It's all changed with the maritime college. I've seen "Paddy's Point" mentioned, along with fishing from the bridge. I don't know where exactly Paddy's Point is and I figure I'd need a drop net from the bridge, something not in the budget at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated, about ideas for fishing there.I did a search already, and that's where I got Paddy's Point from. Apart from that there's a presumption of knowledge beyond what I have.. My plan at the moment is to get a 240cm or so rod that that's rated at a medium, spinning reel, and some soft baits and lures. Then to head there around 90 minutes before high tide. If I'm on completely the wrong track, let me know. Monkstown and Cobh could be on the cards when I'm a bit more clued in and less of a nuisance to anyone else fishing there.
Dulux
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Ringaskiddy, Cork

Postby JimC » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

Take a stroll around the crematorium area. You'll find plenty of fishy looking spots. You can get to the beach under the bridge handy enough as well.

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
Dulux (Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Dulux » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 am

I bought some entry level gear in Cork this morning, on the shop on Shandon Street. With it being just after 9am on a Monday morning Noel had all the time to get me up to speed. I'm just waiting for tides now and although I'll be clueless I feel a little less clueless now.
Dulux
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Dulux » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

I went down to the beach to the east there today. My first time ever fishing. I was very successful in catching seaweed. I managed to lose two lures from not tying knots properly. I sat on a hook. And I caught no fish. Despite all that it was a relaxing few hours.

I still don't know what I'll do if I actually catch a fish. I thought I had once or twice but I'd only snagged bits of floating weed. The wind was also fairly blowy, and with my poor/beginner casting where the hook dropped in the water seemed more chance than skill. I think the first time I actually hook a fish I'll probably freak out and do it all wrong.
Dulux
SAI Lug Worm

Postby kieran » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 am

Dulux

Strongly recommend you join a sea angling club, where SAISAC or another - you learn loads from the other anglers and have people to go fishing with,

HTH

K
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Dulux » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:08 pm

I've just emailed the fishing club closest to me. I'll sit tight for an answer now.

Thanks for all the help.
Dulux
SAI Lug Worm

Postby alefeb » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:48 pm

JimC wrote:Take a stroll around the crematorium area. You'll find plenty of fishy looking spots. You can get to the beach under the bridge handy enough as well.

on the actual crematorium island, or the one next to it?
alefeb
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum