casting practice

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

casting practice

Postby Donagh » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:33 pm

Two questions.

I've been casting reel low but with a multiplier my right wrist is being cut up with line. Do you use a wrist protector and what type?

I cast at a lake thats full of weed which means it can be back braking getting my lead back. A lead lift didn't improve matters but a float beside the lead did help some. Only problem is its makes a crackoff even more expensive. Any suggestions?

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby m.b3 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:55 pm

the cut on your hand is either down to casting errors or the way you are holding the rod. try having your right hand slightly 'open handed', just resting the rod accross your palm. even when you get used to casting with the real down the butt it will still happen occassionally. this is particularly true on rocky marks that don't lend themselves to a good footing. just keep practicing (and fishing) and u'll be fine. this cuts will become less severe and a lot less frequent. use a sweat band to protect your wrist. as for casting in the weedy lake it sounds like tough going. if u can go somewhere else then do! try bringing 2 rods fishing and cast with one? i don't think there is a way to avoid the weed- your float above the weight seems like a good idea.......sorry.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby kieran » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi Donagh

Find a deserted strand - pace it out and stick in a few markers (sticks with tape) at 20 / 50 metre intervals.

I have my reels in the standard position, an arm length up from the butt on a 12.5 foot beachcaster and can get 60 metres with a 535 (not exactly designed for distance) and definitely hit 100 metres on an older 525 mag (18 lb line). It does for me. This said I saw a certain angler in the gallery achieve 80+ metres with no more than a flick :shock: and he says that he can routinely hit 150 metres +... and I;d believe him.

If mb.3' tips are not working and you're still not moving the reel, you can get a leather or kevlar (!) wrist guard from any store that supplies archers as they have a similar problem with the bow string...
FWIW...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Donagh » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:28 pm

The cuts may have been down to a couple of dogey casts. I don't know as I didn't feel them until the next day. The line was dry as I was using the float to keep it out of the weed. This has a more cutting effect on skin. I think the wrist band should work as their only paper cut deep.

I was advised to have the reel low by a casting intructor and I'm finding it ok. I find holding the line for casting on a fixed spool when down low is hard though. I'll bring my beach rod to kerry next week for casting practice and do some work off the beach but I'll normally have to stick to the lake as I live in land in the countryside. If one more person asks me if I've caught anything I think I'll strangle them.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:39 pm

they ask if you caught something?! ha ha! makes a change from "u'll only catch a cold in there", i might be responsible for a drowning yet! anyway, would you not do a spot of coarse fishing whilst casting? what coarse fish are there in the lake (or is it a trout lake)? am i allowed ask this on the forum??
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Donagh » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:11 am

Pike and Rudd are caught there. I mighty try throwing a dead bait down in the winter when practising casting but I have to invest in an alarm. I don't want to destroy pike because I'm to busy casting.

Good Idea
Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Postby m.b3 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:14 pm

if your deadbaiting u could use your multiplier /fixed spool with the ratchet set- u'll hear that. rudd ar such a lovely fish and the lake you practice on could hold some beauties....i'll stop! keep at the sea fishing!
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Wes » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:02 pm

If i remember rightly, aul Marko was due to take a few of us out to do some casting practice.......haha, i bet he thought we'd forget! :lol:
Wes

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"
Wes
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby m.b3 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:09 pm

how right you are Wes! thanx for pionting that out! if anyone wants casting lessons/ help in the Dublin area send me a private message. i will then arrange a time that suits and we can get started. i would prefer to do this in two's or three's otherwise it'll just get messy.... i am no miracle worker and can merely piont you in the right direction, the rest is up to you. if you really want to do it than you will.
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

casting practice

Postby skipper » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:02 pm

Hi Donagh, just read your quiry about line cutting you when casting, its not the line m8 its the leader knot thats doing the damage, if the knots too bulky, this will definitely give you a cut wrist,I know when mine are as i get some scratch marks acroos my watch strap and as has been said the way you hold the rod with the reel low is also as important cheers m8 Rod
skipper

Return to Casting