Howth for conger?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Howth for conger?

Postby cd07 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi lads just wondering if anyone has had any genuine luck catching conger around the piers in howth? Thanks
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Re: Howth for conger?

Postby Rod Tips » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi cd07 , I have caught Conger there in tge past, straps mostly, there is a big resident one there inside the harbour between the west and east piers close to the mouth of the harbour.
I have been putting in plenty of night sessions there over the past several months. Approximately 5 weeks ago, something took my bait ( whole mackerel flapper) and took off with it, ( had my drag set to very loose), it went for around 15 / 20 seconds, once I picked up the rod and gently tightened the drag slightly, it dropped the bait. It certainly looked like a Conger was at it. I have been out there since but no luck so far. I had 2 rods out, one inside harbour between entrance of harbour, just into the middle.
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby sea serpant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:37 pm

I seen a dead conger at the rocks in balscadden maybe ten years ago was big looked around 20lb weather it came off a trawler or died around them rocks im not sure but I have talked to numerous top anglers over the years that know the area well and they all seem to confirm that there is plenty of eels in the area always meant to try it since I'm close to the area and have been fishing my whole life but never did I might try it this summer I have heard that supposedly there are several really big eels one around the 50 mark in the area if I was trying I think I'd try the deeper water at the start of balscadden it would obviously take alot of time and patience but I would say the area has the potential to deliver
Last edited by sea serpant on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby cd07 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 am

Thanks a mil lads defo gonna try it
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kieran » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm

sea serpant wrote:the deeper water at balscadden ... the area has the potential to deliver

Many years ago, scuba divers have told me of enormous lobsters and similarly large congers in the rough ground out from the Cat Rock east towards the Split Rock. The were recovering fishing gear, mostly leads in industrial quantities owing to the extremely rough nature of the ground (which every angler there knows only too well). Might be best to try float fishing a flapper rather than legering - can not see you landing anything from there off the bottom?
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby d2FISH » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:06 pm

cd07 wrote:Thanks a mil lads defo gonna try it

a little pointer for ya axtra long leader iv had afew from the corner were pier wall is but hav lost more than landed the min the take bait there back in there hole and uv to do some bullyin to get them out u hav to be quick of the mark i found high water the best and darkess or the seals take ur flapper
d2FISH
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby cd07 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies lads...looking forward to giving it a bash!
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Postby ste c » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 am

West pier in dunlaoghaire holds alot of congers well into double figures too any were off the back of the elbows
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby cragk25 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:03 pm

Iv personally seen a monster conger caught out here by a guy fishing beside me 2 summers ago it had to have been over 40lbs
Species 2014: whiting, codling, herring, dab
cragk25
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Woulfec » Mon May 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Keep your hook end prominent. They are fairly nifty at stripping bait. don't give them an inch. Extra long shockleader is a good tip. 8 or 10/0 steel trace essential or your completely wasting your time. Crush the Barb too because big ones are a cu nts to be handling. Tbar be handy. Bring a hand cloth for gripping helps.

Goodluck
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum