Blue shark from shore

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Blue shark from shore

Postby Thompst111 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 am

Alright lads. So my annual cork trip to beara is in two months never bait fished down there really, so this year gonna give it a bash for ling congor ray and huss. Also of thinking of trying for blue shark from the shore one of the marks I fish is into 60-100 feet of water gonna try there but wondering if anyone has any advice for me...like what depth I should float my bait/what set up I should have any info would he great. Thanks lads.
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Blue shark from shore

Postby kieran » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 am

suggest you do a search through the threads on this - lots of information there.
also look at how people fish for sharks from the shore in New Zealand, arguably the best at it worldwide and very similar in terms of terrain, depths of water, conditions...

HTH
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Rob Millard » Mon May 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Blues like at least 180ft of water under them, and proper open ocean, so the likelihood of one being caught from the shore is very small. Porbeagles from the shore have been done before, and if somebody had the time and patience to give it a go, could definitely be done again.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks:
kieran (Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby cd07 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Can anyone tell me exactly where green island is in Clare that jack shine shark fished in the 60s?
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Woulfec » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Thompson. If you YouTube jack shine pourbeagles there's an hour podcast with info on it.

This is green island. 2 miles from me.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190513-185053-180x360.jpg
Screenshot_20190513-185053-180x360.jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

For this message the author Woulfec has received thanks:
Thompst111 (Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm)
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby Woulfec » Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Just outside Miltown malbay County clare. You've to walk about a half a km downhill through fields to get there
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Postby cd07 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Great stuff cheers
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Rob Millard » Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Rob Millard » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

A Porbeagle from the shore would be serious craic

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kieran » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 pm

There are three promontories at green Island (or at least there were) - you need to fish off the most easterly and as you face across Liscannor Bay (take the tower at Liscannor as your pointer) you need to cast at around 10 o'clock. The reason is that this is where a deep underwater canyon surfaces. This is the channel that the sharks patrolled back when it was a pollack laden mark.

In the 80s we used to fish for mackerel off a boat with hand lines and routinely took pollack off the reefs there to 14lbs. I remember it clearly from the appallingly small Bluebird (?) sonar reader. There are vicious reefs there, including one that emerges at low water (and which our boat sailed over on a wave - nearly sh*t myself). The man who owned the boat insisted we keep the pollack and we would tote them around the caravan park looking for some eejit to take them but we did ok on the mackerel at 2 and half pence each!

Jaysys that makes me feel old!

A few of the less well documented elements to Jack Shine's remarkable exploits are (a) the bamboo rods were home made and came from a stand that is still there at a private Italianate house on the stone beach (Creggs?) near Lahinch, (b) Jack used decent pollack and not mackerel as bait which makes a lot of sense and (c) he always fished on a S or SSW breeze to get the baits to track out away from the rocks towards that canyon, regardless of the tide. I am told he used a standard balloon rig, baited to drop to 30 feet. I met him once when I was a small boy - if I recall he ran the local Creamery in Ennistymon (which discharged into the river and produced the most amazing bags of rudd). Sadly the river's salmon and sea trout were decimated long ago. Ditto the exceptional bass and flatties.

If you pull a porgie off Green Island now, given the state of the pollack fishery, you deserve a lifetime achievement award. GL

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 3
dmc17 (Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:21 pm), Rob Millard (Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm), Woulfec (Tue May 14, 2019 6:11 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Thompst111 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Woulfec wrote:Thompson. If you YouTube jack shine pourbeagles there's an hour podcast with info on it.

This is green island. 2 miles from me.

Will have a listen to that later cheers man... There's a chance I'll be hitting ye for some Clare fishing after all . Next time your heading to wecford let me know hopefully make it down to ye

For this message the author Thompst111 has received thanks:
Woulfec (Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 pm)
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby cd07 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 am

So here's the thing. Would a lad be completely wasting his time trying that nowadays? Given the depleted stocks of all types of shark and the vast shoals of mackerel of yesteryear? I'm gonna give it a bash but I'm doubtful they're still there in any numbers but ya never know!
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Postby eddyfletch » Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 am

id be tempted to give it a go :roll:
Species 2017 Shore caught Dog Fish Codling Flounder Strap Conger 3 bearded rocky Conger Dab Scorpion fish (22cm) Pollack Thornback Ray Tub Gurnard Sea Bass Smoothhound coalie
eddyfletch
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby Rob Millard » Tue May 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Porbeagles are making a comeback because of the commercial ban some years ago. Definitely worth a try IMO.

Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Postby gearoid mc s. » Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 pm

gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby baitdigger » Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 pm

cd07 wrote:So here's the thing. Would a lad be completely wasting his time trying that nowadays? Given the depleted stocks of all types of shark and the vast shoals of mackerel of yesteryear? I'm gonna give it a bash but I'm doubtful they're still there in any numbers but ya never know!

If you have some time spare give it a go. Make sure you have a reel that will hold enough line for a serious run, I dont think you would be wasting your time and you never know what you might pick up and choose your mark wisely if you were lucky enough to hook up the last thing you need to worry about is how to unhook or release a big fish
The Truth is often stumbled upon by men, most of whom pick themselves up and hurry along as if nothing ever happened.
https://baitdigger.wordpress.com

For this message the author baitdigger has received thanks:
Woulfec (Tue May 14, 2019 6:10 pm)
baitdigger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby Woulfec » Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 pm

kieran wrote:There are three promontories at green Island (or at least there were) - you need to fish off the most easterly and as you face across Liscannor Bay (take the tower at Liscannor as your pointer) you need to cast at around 10 o'clock. The reason is that this is where a deep underwater canyon surfaces. This is the channel that the sharks patrolled back when it was a pollack laden mark.

In the 80s we used to fish for mackerel off a boat with hand lines and routinely took pollack off the reefs there to 14lbs. I remember it clearly from the appallingly small Bluebird (?) sonar reader. There are vicious reefs there, including one that emerges at low water (and which our boat sailed over on a wave - nearly sh*t myself). The man who owned the boat insisted we keep the pollack and we would tote them around the caravan park looking for some eejit to take them but we did ok on the mackerel at 2 and half pence each!

Jaysys that makes me feel old!

A few of the less well documented elements to Jack Shine's remarkable exploits are (a) the bamboo rods were home made and came from a stand that is still there at a private Italianate house on the stone beach (Creggs?) near Lahinch, (b) Jack used decent pollack and not mackerel as bait which makes a lot of sense and (c) he always fished on a S or SSW breeze to get the baits to track out away from the rocks towards that canyon, regardless of the tide. I am told he used a standard balloon rig, baited to drop to 30 feet. I met him once when I was a small boy - if I recall he ran the local Creamery in Ennistymon (which discharged into the river and produced the most amazing bags of rudd). Sadly the river's salmon and sea trout were decimated long ago. Ditto the exceptional bass and flatties.

If you pull a porgie off Green Island now, given the state of the pollack fishery, you deserve a lifetime achievement award. GL

Moy House is the private House your thinking of. I'll take 200 makeral at 5p kieran lol
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Postby eoghanb » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm

Great looking terrain you would need a lot of line to reach that gully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby eoghanb » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm