Mackeral

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Mackeral

Postby hush1 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Just wondering whats peoples opinion on using frozen versus supermarket mackeral as bait before fresh mackeral can be caught---hoping to try for some flats off the connamara coast this weekend?
hush1
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 19 times

Re: Mackeral

Postby Rod Tips » Wed May 01, 2019 4:00 pm

If you're fishing for flats with small hooks and baits, I'd go with the frozen, as its easier to cut if you do it before it thaws out, ideal if your cutting strips to fit B940 kamasan ir similar, or a mustad baitholder
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Re: Mackeral

Postby corbyeire » Wed May 01, 2019 5:06 pm

The blast frozen mackeral that you get in bait shops, while more expensive than the fresh(thawed) stuff in the packs in supermarkets, is better quality (provided its well minded in the freezer!).
Sometimes for some reason they prefer the more manky mack. I always have a sliver of refrozen mack with me. it can be amazing sometimes how it catches when top quality stuff doesnt.
also really fresh caught stuff with the blood in the flesh needs to be presented right. the skin can fall away from the flesh very easily and especially on the fine sort of days you can catch it, it deteriorates very quickly in the relative heat
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum