estuary fishing

Come on now, ante up! Give us your tips and tricks, those little snippets and trade secrets gleaned from years of experience and experimentation!

Moderator: Seaniebo

estuary fishing

Postby nareik1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 pm

What is best option for rod and reel (fixed spool) for fishing shannon estuary targeting ray etc.
Budget under €200
nareik1
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: estuary fishing

Postby sea serpant » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 pm

2nd hand is always the best option for that money ya get a miles better rod 2nd hand ask on here look out for century zziplex although even 2nd hand the zziplex especially would be hard to pick up but I'd defo go 2nd hand maybe afaw greys any of the stiffer versions of the names I've mentioned will do the job !! The afaw blue range is worth a look new maybe slightly out of your price range but they are good rods at a very reasonable price the big beach or the 6 and bait versions worth looking at as fir reels there market is flooded with half decent fixed spools for around 100 mark from akios Penn shimano daiwa I wouldn't try get a combo for 200 waste of time I'd try save and spend the 200 on the rod alone you will pick up something decent second hand for that
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby gearoid mc s. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 am

I fish the Shannon exclusively and my go to rods are Conoflex Highlander/Scorpion/Diabolo. But they are older than some people like. You will get a mint example of any of them for 200e albeit hard come by as no longer made

For most of the marks you want an animal rod with a glass tip to sit in the tide and show bites

Tournament rods are overkill and lifeless and anything in the 'match' range will fall well short

Having said all that recenty picked up a RT Axe for 100e and it would put a lot of rods to shame

For this message the author gearoid mc s. has received thanks:
kstaff (Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 pm)
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby nareik1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for the advise. What reel are fells using.anyone got any worth while rod that wont break the bank that they might want to sell. Keep in mind im reasonably new to this.
nareik1
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby gearoid mc s. » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 am

525 mag original is faultless for fishing down this way, at 70e for a good example won't break the bank either.

Any heavy duty multiplier that can cast is good, so fathom's, Daiwa BG etc also ideal.

Get a second hand 6oz rated rod in good condition and you should stay near you budget.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Return to Tips & Tricks for Sea Anglers