Half decent mark close to Dublin

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Half decent mark close to Dublin

Postby Daz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:43 pm

Hello.i am new to forum and sea fishing also.been trying fish last 2-3 months.few venues north side ( malahide,laytown ).not great results there - blanked or finger size whiting.lately spending all time (i go out every Saturday night ,no matter weather conditions ) in wicklow beaches (kilcole,newcastle,wicklow). I am getting plenty dog fish,small codling,small dab,small flounder,whiting.as I understand from a research in internet north side of Dublin is very flat and it is hard fishing there.also understand the best cost perhaps are south or west coast of Ireland.So where could be the closest spot towards to south for half a chance to get bass or cod.i would be happy even for 1 lb fish.thanks in advance.
Daz
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 57 times

Re: Half decent mark close to Dublin

Postby m.b3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:55 pm

you would be doing well to get bass half an hour from dublin at this time of year maybe until just after christmas when its mild. there are one or two places that can throw up cod at various points around howth, mostly rough ground and tricky spots to get to. killiney lefthand side of beach in rough ground has thrown up good cod and coalies in the past. the rough ground can be soul destroying when you are starting out and trying to build up your tackle not loose it! i used to fish a lot of the places you mention and there are fish to be caught, you may be unlucky and fished at the wrong times. i will send you on a pm if i get a chance this evening. from what i can remember there was a SAI SAC comp in north dublin early in the new year that threw up flounder dabs and codling and on sand!

For this message the author m.b3 has received thanks:
Daz (Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:34 am)
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby sea serpant » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:08 pm

There fat codling to 2lb still being taken at night on the sth wexford beaches but that's still a hour and 3 quarter drive from Dublin as above said killiney would be prob your best chance at codling bass will be rare as hens teeth in dublin wicklow until April thsts when all the venues you mention come into their own including the Dublin ones with the arrival of bass smooth hounds and ray further down on wicklow wexford ! Now is the time to try bag a codling or two as I find Dublin to wexford from dead zones from mid Feb to late April although I'm sure there are fish knocking about at this time I just dont bother

For this message the author sea serpant has received thanks:
Daz (Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 am)
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby m.b3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm

top secret pm sent!

Daz (Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 am)
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Daz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks m.b3 and sea serpant.i did try killiney beach.about 50-100 yards on your left from car park,but lost gear nearly every cast ,plus dozens of people with questions and dogs sniffing squid and makckerel in my bait box ,made me leave after an hour.and i left and went to kilcole.perhaps it's good beach at night time if you know where you casting and when there is no people around,i just like to give myself an hour before dark to get myself set up.so as I understand half decent venue at winter time it's not gonna be closer then south wexford beaches.i could manage 1 session in a month to travel that,but for regular weekend fishing i need to find something closer.i might try killiney at deep night or some rock spots in howth.thanks guys.
Daz
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:15 am

Oh...and the tactics i use,may be i got this all wrong.i fish two rods.one pulley pennel rig with fairly big bait ( squid,mac,sandeel combo or peeler crab if i can get those).this rod pick up mostly doggies.and second rod 2 flapper or one up one down rig.small enough hooks for sandeel or mac and squid stripes or rag lug worm if I manage to get them.i try to cast various distances starting as little as 20-30 yards up to whatever i can get,but i seem to pick up whiting or doggies anywhere.time and tides are the things I don't understand.is high tide or low the best or this is individual for every single venue.so far for me doggies and whiting in same venue either high or low tides take bait with no significant difference.as long as it's get dark.would tides and time in venues for bass and cod be extremely important?thanks.
Daz
SAI Lug Worm

Postby corbyeire » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:37 pm

im afraid to say most venues you have different criteria, in relation to time of year, recent weather, baits, tides species etc.
if i was in your shoes, pick a venue you like thats close and fish it in all conditions, tides and baits - keep detailed records, of rigs, bait hooks, weather of the 3 days before fishing etc.
you will then build up a pattern for that one venue! otherwise you have to be really lucky that people will tell you this info, that took years to build up
generally start in darkness over HW then try LW and have two rods one close and one far, and then one with flappers and one with pennel or pulley with bigger hooks and then swap it around - im afraid there is no quick fix to start with

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
Daz (Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks corbyeire.If I know,there is no well known system to fish only hw or lw marks,is good enough for me.i will find out the best times myself over the time.i really like kilcole and newcastle deep shingle beaches,so i am not chasing water as it happens in north side.i might stick with them and just hope those venues will give something else then doggies and whiting from April towards to summer.thanks.
Daz
SAI Lug Worm

Postby m.b3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 pm

generally speaking small whiting are standard fair at a lot of places at this time of year, dogs are a bonus! we used to go to wicklow in february because there was a chance of a few dogs at night in among the whiting. it was just nice to see something pull the rod around. keep firing questions up on the forum that is what it is here for. if you are planning on trying a venue maybe let people know and you might get some info. i am not around dublin much these days but send me a message with any questions you have i am happy to help out. there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your tactics. the tides can be important depending on what you want to do and where but if you persevere it will all start to come together.

Daz (Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:35 pm)
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Postby sea serpant » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Daz wrote:Thanks corbyeire.If I know,there is no well known system to fish only hw or lw marks,is good enough for me.i will find out the best times myself over the time.i really like kilcole and newcastle deep shingle beaches,so i am not chasing water as it happens in north side.i might stick with them and just hope those venues will give something else then doggies and whiting from April towards to summer.thanks.

All them wicklow beaches you mention will fish well from may on smmothhounds bas ray etc Dublin will also have hounds and bass

For this message the author sea serpant has received thanks:
Daz (Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 pm)
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Daz » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks lads.looks like I should be happy what i am catching at the moment this time a year around dublin, wicklow.thanks again.
Daz
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum