Cobblers for live bait

Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Anyone ever used there for live bait. I dunno if I have the incorrect name for them. Their the little fish that when your looking for crab under rocks and week you will find
They stay alive for ages so I was think might be good for live baiting? Anyone ever used them?

Re: Cobblers for live bait

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Used one once as a deadbait from a Rocky mark ,never got a bite ! Yes I call them cobblers too .

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi Woulfec, the only fish I have heard called cobblers were Sea Scorpions whereas the fish I expect to find under stones are blennies and butterfish. A fish would want to be hungry to tackle a sea scorpion (all those spines!) though Chuckaroo recently posted a picture of one which had been regurgitated by a dogfish. Butterfish are certainly eaten by other fish, had a pollack cough one up last year, and I have read about using them for bait. Not sure about blennies but I would rather eat one of those than a sea scorpion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi Johnwest
it is blennies that i am referring too actually. they are very common up my way and they live for a long time out of water so i was thinking they could be a very good live bait. perfect size too.

But what ill do is ill give them a shot and ill pm you what ever reaction i get. thanks for the informative reply, much appreciated.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:40 pm

The sea scorpion (two types) also called a stoney cobbler in some areas.
The "blenny" in the pic is a member of the goby species. The blennies have one continuous dorsal fin where the gobies have two dorsal fins.

GOBY.JPG

BLENNY.JPG

scorpion fish.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am

Ya it's def the blennies. Have you live baited with them Dónal as they are very easily hand picked here under the rocks

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 am

Yep, used them with success. We'll leave it at that 8)