Black Head Co Clare - the flats

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Black Head Co Clare - the flats

Postby pajo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi,

Has anyone fished here in the last few years and what is it fishing like? I haven't fished it in about 5 years. There isn't much in the reports section on it.

Pat
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: Black Head Co Clare - the flats

Postby corbyeire » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:39 pm

anytime ive fished it it has been disappointing, but its usually due to there being a gale round the corner and blackhead/ballyreen are too dangerous and were my original plan

youll get mack and small wrasse and pollack in close - the sand can be dissapointing with only the odd dog or flat on it

ive heard of days where every cast was a ray - but ive never seen one off it in all my years

i would advise you to pick your days - and swell! and head further south to deeper water
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby pajo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 am

Thanks corbyeire.

I fished there with my father back in the seventies and early eighties. Fished myself in more recent years. Always picked up a few a few doggies, small conger and pollack. Had a couple of good takes on whole mackerel - maybe decent conger or tope but never landed anything big.

It was a lovely place to spend a summers morning or afternoon though.

Pat

For this message the author pajo has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:55 pm)
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Patrickblaney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Did quite a bit last year. Had some nice pollack plenty of mackerel. What out for fellas casting right next to you and getting tangled or casting right over your head

For this message the author Patrickblaney has received thanks:
pajo (Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 pm)
Patrickblaney
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby pajo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Only seeing this now! Thanks patrickblaney.

Yes there's a bit of that there alright. I always found it better in the morning or early afternoon. The summer evenings when the mackerel are in are downright dangerous there.

Hope to give it a go in the next few weeks.
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Its coming into the best time of year in theory down there now - a report would be welcome

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
pajo (Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby baitdigger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi Pajo
As Corbyeire has said the flats at one time had a very good reputation. Haven't been back in a few years but in my opinion you would be better off driving straight past it.
As soon as the mackerel are in the marks are destroyed, if you are their early the tinsel tossers will think you know what you are doing and set up each side of you, by the third cast they will either of hit you or cross lined you :D
As for fish, it is one of the more productive mackerel marks, pollack and wrasse are generally small as when they are caught on feathers they end up not going back.
I have seen a few very occasional rays, dogs, various flatties. I caught a small dab which was bitten in two, probably by a tope
If you are after something decent there are far better marks within twenty minutes drive
The Truth is often stumbled upon by men, most of whom pick themselves up and hurry along as if nothing ever happened.
https://baitdigger.wordpress.com

For this message the author baitdigger has received thanks:
pajo (Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 pm)
baitdigger
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 71 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum