Server Upgrade

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Server Upgrade

Postby jd » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:22 am

I've moved the server up to the next plan with or hosting company. It now has twice the ram and and an additional virtual cpu. However it is costing me more, so I'll see how it goes for a few months and figure out where we'll go with this in the future.

For this message the author jd has received thanks:
donal domeney (Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 pm)
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: Server Upgrade

Postby JimC » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Certainly seems to be a lot speedier on accessing the forum index.
Maybe we should look at funding models going forward....
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Yip, seems to running much quicker. Good stuff
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 pm

How much does it cost?

Noticeably quicker today
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby jd » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:04 pm

The server now costs me 66 euro a month. Most of the resources are taken up by SAI, there are also two micro sites hosted. Google ads brings in about 15-20 euro a month.

If anyone wants to donate towards hosting costs you are welcome to paypal
admins@sea-angling-ireland.org
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby donal domeney » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:07 am

Not on paypal, still one of the tinfoil hat brigade, but if you ring me with the bank details I have no problem in send on €50 from todays winnings. 8)
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby jd » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:26 am

donal domeney wrote:Not on paypal, still one of the tinfoil hat brigade, but if you ring me with the bank details I have no problem in send on €50 from todays winnings. 8)

Donal, for the amount of work you do here keeping an eye on spammers and miscreants, you are the last person who should be offering to help fund the site, rather than the first.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby donal domeney » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 am

For years I've spent most of my summers haunting and holidaying in Guileen in East Cork even became one of the locals. The saddest thing I saw down there was old timers taking secrets to their graves with them. I said years ago I would never end up like that.

This site is my outlet to helping other angler’s improver their angling skills. We have a lot of "international match anglers" who are members on this site that wouldn't bother their ass to help out other anglers.
A shower of Prima Donnas, Jess us what are they afraid of you still have to go out and catch the fish.

I have never refused an angler with help and have gone out of my way to supply maps and gps numbers to help put them on fishable marks. I have 938 posts in shore angling q/a there are very few of them when I've asked for help in an angling spot. You can add 29 pages of PM's to that.
While Facebook and blogs are all the rage there are for the limited few, this site is constantly evolving with new members logging in gather the help they need, some will put up a few post and then move on others will stay a bit longer. This is sad I believe all members who get their angling off the ground on the site should be willing to put back in as much as they take out. Now while saying this there are plenty who do contribute to help the new posters. There are some great posters who have never let the site down with their reports and are always a great read. I'll will have to say I have not been putting in the reports a often as I used to.
There were some great posters on here a few years back that for one reason or another stopped poster. As a Mod I can see they log on now and again just to see what’s happening. If you are reading this and you are one of these lost souls then start posting again and don’t take your angling knowledge to your grave with you.

This site has to survive if only to help new anglers into the game.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 5
corbyeire (Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 pm), fisherman59 (Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 am), jack01986 (Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm), pajo (Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:29 pm), Rob Millard (Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:48 pm)
donal domeney

Postby corbyeire » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Great post donal, it is so true how much knowledge goes with people to the grave - and to people who just hang up their rods and dont fish anymore - I am completly guilty of not posting sessions - i think i cant make scratching sessions or the odd dog too exciting but definitley try to push lads in the right direction around galway/mayo/clare

I have to say i lived down in wexford for 4 years and this site was amazing for getting me on the ball down there - you could be blindly fishing places for years and never figure out the runs conditions etc. - we all need a push in the right direction

and as for lads fishing a place out - those types will find the info one way or another, as will the netters - get out on a session - exchange a few pms with a newbie - suss them out and then you can trust the info is going to a good cause!

fair play to you DD

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
donal domeney (Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:02 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby keymcg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:44 am

I have to admit that describes me. I used to contribute a bit, answer questions etc but now just check in from time to time and rarely comment. I learned lots on here and i will try to give back by offering my opinion on and experience with gear rigs etc.
John west is an inspiration and a real gentleman. I have met him several times fishing and his reports are a pleasure to read, well beyond my abilities to even attempt to follow.
As for sharing marks I have doubts about doing it publicly when I see what has happened to some of them I have previously mentioned. However I have done and will continue to PM individuals no problem.
That's one New Years resolution sorted for 2019

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm), donal domeney (Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 am)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby donal domeney » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:59 am

Bumping this up again in the hope that another few of the "oldies" might get back to posting there opinions and useful tips.

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:03 pm)
donal domeney

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions