Plugging

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Plugging

Postby Davyred » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi All

New member here, so please be gentle!

I'm going to be working in Belfast for a couple of months starting next month, so on my days off, I'm looking to getting some plugging done.

Apparently, the coastline around there is a bit of a desert where Bass are concerned, so I've been looking further afield. Been having a look at a few areas, mainly Sligo and Donegal. Kerry was very much in my mind until I seen its 300 miles away!!

Obviously I'm not looking for any specific marks, but any pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Davyred
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Plugging

Postby MAC » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 pm

You're going to struggle to be honest. October can be a good month with the Bass fishing normally tailing off in November. To get anything close to reliable results, you will have to travel quite far for Bass, Kerry, Cork, Waterford and Wexford. Waterford is possible from Belfast as there is Motorway nearly all the way, Still looking at a 4 hour trip though. An Alternative would be some Pollock Fishing off the deep water rock marks around Donegal.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby kieran » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Davyred

Let me send Ronald a text and see if I can connect you two.... there are bass in Northern Ireland, they are just well hidden!
Suggest you look at reports from around the North Coast, from Benone across to Ballycastle, including the bars at Castlerock at the mouth of the Bann...

As for Donegal and Sligo, you may need to consider switching to smaller faster lures and contenting yourself with sea trout! You'll need a licence mind...

Hope this helps

K
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Davyred » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks for the info lads.

I got in touch with a lad on facebook who has given me some infor about Castlerock.

Love my Pollack fishing, so that is definitely an option.

Waterford is tempting, would it be worth the drive?
Davyred
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MAC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Davyred wrote:Waterford is tempting, would it be worth the drive?

Interesting question, If you know your bass fishing you have a good chance in Waterford at this time of year. If you are a beginner, then like a lot of spots, you'll need to do a bit of homework first. Any piece of Rock / reef west of Tramore is worth a shot.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby obeckett98 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 am

There are bass in donegal for sure. Mostly taken on the open surf beaches with bait but they can be taken with lures around some rocky areas, donegal bay seems good.

For this message the author obeckett98 has received thanks:
Davyred (Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:17 pm)
obeckett98
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Davyred » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:11 pm

MAC wrote:
Davyred wrote:Waterford is tempting, would it be worth the drive?

Interesting question, If you know your bass fishing you have a good chance in Waterford at this time of year. If you are a beginner, then like a lot of spots, you'll need to do a bit of homework first. Any piece of Rock / reef west of Tramore is worth a shot.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means, but have had my fair share of fish over SW Scotland :D. The ground next to Carrickfergus where I'm working was what pricked my interest to be honest, but as I said previously, I've been told its a no go as far as bass are concerned.

I've been studying google maps around the waterford area, got a couple of places in mind. All I need to do is get my rod over, but I'm not paying £85 to take it by plane! Thinking of getting it sent over by courier.
Davyred
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum