crab bait

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

crab bait

Postby padraig » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Lads sorry for the million and 1 questions.This is a sanity check more than anything else...

Got myself a little crabbing pot (in Rory's, fairly cheap at a tenner, so Im thinking, nothing ventured nothing gained etc.), thinking when i go to dig lug, I can deposit it with some rashers or fisheads as bait and when I return to do a little fishing I can collect hopefully with a couple of crabs, for some tasty bait for fishing.

Now I understand that peeler crabs are any crab during molting stage, so nice soft and juicy... but my question is this really... is it still ok to use what I anticipate to be shore crabs, as bait? I am presuming meat is meat and I can take the bulk of the shell off and off we go? Or have I got that wrong?!

Cheers lads,

P
padraig
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Re: crab bait

Postby kieran » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 am

nothing wrong with using shore crabs, use small ones for wrasse when I can get the time to collect them.

The difference with peelers is that their soft leathery skin is useful in wrapping up the juicy innards, whereas when you peel the hard shell of a shore crab, there is nothing similar to use. You could try wrapping it with squid? People just hook small crabs right through the back and put a tiny bit of elastic band through the hook point afterwards, to stop them wriggling off and keep the hook point clear.

Don't fancy the idea of trying to smash and peel all the shell off non-peelers... bear in mind most fish will tackle a crab, peeler or not. Let us know how you get on!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby padraig » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Brilliant! Thanks Kieran
If I get a few I will try both ways so, through the back aqnd also stripped with a bit of squid.
Will post here after I get a chance to try it out!
Cheers.
padraig
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Rod Tips » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:52 pm

padraig wrote:Lads sorry for the million and 1 questions.This is a sanity check more than anything else...

Got myself a little crabbing pot (in Rory's, fairly cheap at a tenner, so Im thinking, nothing ventured nothing gained etc.), thinking when i go to dig lug, I can deposit it with some rashers or fisheads as bait and when I return to do a little fishing I can collect hopefully with a couple of crabs, for some tasty bait for fishing.

Now I understand that peeler crabs are any crab during molting stage, so nice soft and juicy... but my question is this really... is it still ok to use what I anticipate to be shore crabs, as bait? I am presuming meat is meat and I can take the bulk of the shell off and off we go? Or have I got that wrong?!

Cheers lads,

P
Hi padraig, smoothound absolutely love hard back crabs and are well equipped to deal with them, also, anglers are finding small hardback crabs in the stomachs of codling, so I wouldn't be surprised you will have success. Best of luck
Rod Tips

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby Emcn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 am

I have also had pollack take them when using small hardbacks to target wrasse.
Emcn
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MAC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 pm

One of the main reasons that peelers are preferred is scent...... Peeler crabs give off a scent as they peel. Hardbacks don't have much if any smell. A fish can hone in on a peeler bait easier. It will only eat a hardback if it's right in front of it. I've caught loads of fish on peelers, including Cod and Smoothounds plus Bass and Flounder when shore fishing. I've only caught wrasse and a few pollock on hardbacks. When fishing a beach or estuary, you are often fishing water that is coloured so the scent helps, also for Cod at night. When Wrasse fishing we are fishing clear water over a very specific spot where we know they are.
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
Rod Tips (Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum