Looking for advise cork harbour

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Looking for advise cork harbour

Postby BMcD » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:15 am

Hi, I'm planning a trip down to cork harbour the last weekend of September and want to tow the boat down for two days fishing. I've never launched from here before so was wondering if anyone could recommend a good slipway? Hoping to get accommodation close by to a slipway that would be safe to park the boat overnight and with a pub in sight. If anyone had any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Looking for advise cork harbour

Postby fastnet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi,
you could try Crosshaven,Whitegate,Monkstown or Cobh.Depending on where you are coming from.Crosshaven and Cobh are busy spots the others quiet.
fastnet
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby donal domeney » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Have a look at Aghada or Whitegate as a base.
Launching from Lower Aghada. Petrol station at the pier.
Fishing in Cork harbour in all weather.
I'm down this way at the moment, my fishing area
I'll track down b&b numbers and post them
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby BMcD » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the replys. Was thinking of Aghada, slipway looks good there but there doesn't seem to be accommodation in the town there.
Is there a good public slip in Crosshaven with parking? Seems to be plenty of accommodation in the town with few pubs around.
Cobh is another option but not sure of any slipways there and parking is all pay and display around the town. Might be a pain to park up van and trailer for the day.
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby JimC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 am

Cobh: You can park in the Car Park at White point for free, it's a bit of a stroll back to the boat or collect at the steps on the water. There is a grand slip in white point too. No Shortage of B&B - Hotels etc.
Aghada: Nearest B&B is Teach na Coille only a couple of miles from the slipway - (021) 465 2208
Crosshaven: Grand slipway there B&B is accommodation about. Parking can be knarly at the weekends but you'd find a hole to stash it!
Monkstown: Grand Slipway not sure on the B&B front.
For the most part if you are launching early in the mornings you will get parking without much bother.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby BMcD » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. Will probably try Cobh or Crosshaven so. Do you know if the slips at whitepoint or Crosshaven are tidal at all?
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby JimC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Yep, they are all fairly tidal. Whitepoint: Allow 2 hours either side of low water. Crosshaven may be better, I don’t use it regularly though.
JimC

Postby BMcD » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks for the replys Jim. Booked into B&B in Whitegate and will launch from Aghada. Heading down 5th Oct for 2 days. Will post how we get on.
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MAC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Jim,

Do the tennis club allow boat launching. I think they charge for it, but it's nice to have the wash down facilities and parking.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby BMcD » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 pm

I tried contacting them last week but there office hours are limited. Was wondering the same and if they allowed overnight parking there.
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby ragworm2012 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 pm

BMcD wrote:I tried contacting them last week but there office hours are limited. Was wondering the same and if they allowed overnight parking there.

PM me your details,live local in that area
ragworm2012
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby JimC » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:04 am

MAC wrote:Jim,

Do the tennis club allow boat launching. I think they charge for it, but it's nice to have the wash down facilities and parking.

Sorry Kev, didn't realise this was directed towards me.
Yep you can launch at the tennis club. They operate a fee system. I'm sure they would allow parking if there is room. Best to ring in the morning (021) 466 1200.
The pier is a grand launch at this time of year as there are less people about especially if you are going on longer trips and the tide is less of a factor.
JimC

Postby MAC » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am

Cheers Jim, I didn't know if the Tennis club were back in action.... For me it's the easiest of the lot, but I don't have a 4x4. The rest are tidal and require a good bit of planning. Nothing worse that waiting for the tide where your gasping for a pint at the end of a days fishing.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum