Re: MACKEREL REPORTS SHORE 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:01 pm

If the Macs are not feeding on the surface they'll be deeper down mingling with the pollack

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 am

I went to Clogherhead Friday morning but no luck. There were boats ploughing for razor fish so that the water was completely filled with sand, and a strong cold onshore wind didn't help either. I gave up after around 30 mins - there were loads of sprat but no sign of mackerel.

Shore Caught Mackerel Anyone?

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone is catching Mackerel from the shore on the east coast? Especially the Dublin area. I know of reports from Donegal and from Wexford and Waterford. They seem to be a bit scarce. Thanks in advance

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Good few around skerries and balbrigggan

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 am

eoghanb wrote:Good few around skerries and balbrigggan

Great to hear there's a few macks to be found round Skerries & Balbriggan, :D had almost given up hope. :roll: Was thinking I'd have to dust off the passport and head south to Howth or Dun Laoghaire to find a few. :idea: BTW I've noticed that the hook sizes on some of my mack feathers are quite big, 2/0's and even 3/0's but have been reading that perhaps a smaller 1 or even 2 (or smaller) would be better. Anybody any opinions :?: :?:

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:03 am

https://www.henrystackleshop.com/en/sha ... hooks.html

I use these all the time. Pack of 8 cut in half , just change the clip swivel it not the best

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

I got myself a few packs of hokkais and various feathers. Also made a few sets of my own in anticipation of at least one Mackerel session, but alas no opportunity has presented itself as of yet.
My plan is to try Poolbeg, then Dun Laoire, then Howth Harbour.
Feeling hopeful.
Tight Lines
donal domeney wrote:https://www.henrystackleshop.com/en/shamrock-rigs/1199-shamrock-bullseye-multicolour-rig-8-hooks.html

I use these all the time. Pack of 8 cut in half , just change the clip swivel it not the best

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Any mackerel caught from the shore in Cork??

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I seen a commercial fisherman comment on a facebook page saying that with the large amount of tuna around chasing the mackerel they are staying further out to sea this year.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Very interesting, thanks
Atlantic Angler wrote:I seen a commercial fisherman comment on a facebook page saying that with the large amount of tuna around chasing the mackerel they are staying further out to sea this year.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Atlantic Angler wrote:I seen a commercial fisherman comment on a facebook page saying that with the large amount of tuna around chasing the mackerel they are staying further out to sea this year.

Sounds like the old "the seals are reducing the stocks of salmon" which was the commercial netters' mantra. Once the netting stopped, salmon reappeared in rivers where they hadn't been seen in 40 years. The reality is that it's commercial pressures that have decimated the mackerel stocks - those huge vacuum cleaner type things that suck up entire shoals in seconds and then march on to the next shoal using their pinpoint-accurate electronics.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm

patk wrote:Any mackerel caught from the shore in Cork??

had a few in August but very quiet this year. Would they still be around cork?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Still knocking around the inner bay in galway city!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 pm

2 dozen in Cobh tonight 20-30cm, Chasing sprat

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:02 pm

one mackeral caught in youghal tuesday on feathers

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:17 pm

infestation of joeys in the shallows round galway bay - in all weather still

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Lamb will always taste better than mutton.