FG Knot

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

FG Knot

Postby Old Hand Lure Angler » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

There has been a lot of people promoting the FG knot for joining braid to Fluro/mono. I have been lure fishing for over 45 years and the holy grail was always a swivel on either your wire trace or Fluor leader, to prevent line twist.
If anyone is using this knot for lure fishing, (with a fixed spoil reel), could you give me your experiences of line twist, or hopefully lack of it. Thanks
Old Hand Lure Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: FG Knot

Postby florinc20 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 am

Hi,

I use exclusively FG knot ever since I found out about it...must be more than 5 years now.
Done correctly it is indeed an amazing knot. It flies through rings with no problem...you can use leader of couple of meters if you want too. There's no line twist at all if you use a swivel snap to connect your lure.
Just remember that your leader strength has to be less than your braid strength. This way if you snag your lure your leader will fail at the lure knot...not FG knot.

Practice making this knot at home...as it takes a while to master it.

Hope this helps.
Tight Lines!
florinc20
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby Old Hand Lure Angler » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks Florin for that. There are a couple of tutorials on YouTube. I’ll get practicing.
Old Hand Lure Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby daithi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Any love for the modified Albright knot?
Try again, fail again. Fail better.
daithi
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby corbyeire » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

link for modified albright knot?
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby JimC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:01 pm

Modified Albright

https://youtu.be/Rs4Wdoc8-0o

I like the Yucatan Knot. Easy to tie in tough conditions.

https://youtu.be/VbgVO0sWhP8

For this message the author JimC has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:24 pm), roryodonnell (Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby roryodonnell » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 pm

daithi wrote:Any love for the modified Albright knot?

Yes - very strong & very easy. If connection fluro to braid, I find you need at least 15 turns of fluro on the braid loop
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby daithi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

corbyeire wrote:link for modified albright knot?

I have an app called Knot Wars on my phone, it gives you video induction on how to tie various knots. It's handy when your brain refuses to cooperate with remembering said knots.
Try again, fail again. Fail better.

For this message the author daithi has received thanks:
corbyeire (Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:50 pm)
daithi
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Johnboy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Tbh I don't see the need to abandon the good old uni/uni knot. MY trust for it comes from years of using it while feeder fishing with 8lb braid and a 6lb leader... When you know a know can hold while pelting out a 40g Feeder loaded with groundbait; while clipped up on the line clip which causes the feeder to spring backwards a bit in the air you can trust it to hold a lure on 20lb line.
Been using it for bass and sea trout too, never failed and a lot easier to tie while you're wading with cold hands.
Johnboy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby florinc20 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 am

Johnboy wrote:Tbh I don't see the need to abandon the good old uni/uni knot. MY trust for it comes from years of using it while feeder fishing with 8lb braid and a 6lb leader... When you know a know can hold while pelting out a 40g Feeder loaded with groundbait; while clipped up on the line clip which causes the feeder to spring backwards a bit in the air you can trust it to hold a lure on 20lb line.
Been using it for bass and sea trout too, never failed and a lot easier to tie while you're wading with cold hands.

Hi Johnboy,

I have no doubt that a uni/uni knot would do the job...but there are a few things to consider when comparing knots used for feeders vs spinning.
A very important one would be the rods used for each fishing techniques - feeder rods are very slow (have parabolic actions bending all the way to the handle) while spinning rods usually are Fast or moderate-fast (meaning that they bend a lot less and only on the top 1/3 section). This results in feeder rods absorbing shocks a lot more than spinning rods. I fished both so I'm talking from experience.

Also, when feeder fishing your knot will not pass through your rings very often. It's different for spinning because you use shorter rods and more often than not you need a 2-3 m long mono/fluoro leader and the knots have to pass easily through the rings.

My suggestion would be to at least try and see how it works...in the end...we don't all have to use same knots :wink:

Tight Lines!
florinc20
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 38 times

Postby MAC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm

daithi wrote:Any love for the modified Albright knot?

I've used it, but much prefer the FG knot. Have also been using it for a few years now. The Modified Albright will leave a slight tag facing the eyes. If you knot is inside the eyes and you are repeatedly casting, the know will be pinging the eyes on the way out and will fail. Best to keep the know and leader outside the eyes if using the modified albright.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Lure Fishing