Coarse fishing spots in and around Dublin

Anything about Coarse Angling

Coarse fishing spots in and around Dublin

Postby dawaxwaw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so let me introduce myself. I am a Croatian guy and I will be living in Dublin starting from August. I am also a passionate angler and I am very excited about Ireland because, from what I know, it can offer a lot when it comes to fishing.

I love different fishing techniques, in particular fly fishing, but since I started to have back problems I had to slowly resign from it and now I enjoy lure fishing for predators from time to time, but mostly feeder and float coarse fishing trying to catch carp, tench, roach and similar types of fish. I also love surfcasting.

Now, since I will not have a car for the first couple of months in Dublin, I was looking for a fishing venue that could offer something like that in or around Dublin and that would be reachable by public transport, but didn't have luck finding it.

I would really appreciate if anyone of you guys could help me find such a place.

I would also like to know where can I find all Irish angling regulations at one place? I want to read it carefully, but didn't manage to find something like that online.

Thank you very much!
dawaxwaw
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Coarse fishing spots in and around Dublin

Postby Sweetwrasse » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Hello and welcome to the site!The website fishinginireland.info is a good guide of where to start for all types of fishing. It also has permit and bye law info. Plenty of places to saltwater fish in and around dublin too which are accesible by public transport. Once you have three posts on this site try a search of the archived reports, it has loads of information. One spot I love for trout is the River Dodder flowing through south Dublin. Only 10 euro for the season permit. It's a small river so big casts aren't needed so wouldn't be too hard on a bad back! Tight lines!
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!

For this message the author Sweetwrasse has received thanks:
jd (Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:58 pm)
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby dawaxwaw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Sweetwrasse wrote:Hello and welcome to the site!The website fishinginireland.info is a good guide of where to start for all types of fishing. It also has permit and bye law info. Plenty of places to saltwater fish in and around dublin too which are accesible by public transport. Once you have three posts on this site try a search of the archived reports, it has loads of information. One spot I love for trout is the River Dodder flowing through south Dublin. Only 10 euro for the season permit. It's a small river so big casts aren't needed so wouldn't be too hard on a bad back! Tight lines!

Hello, thanks a lot for your reply.

I checked the website that you recommended and it is a very useful source of information! Thanks for that as well.

River Dodder seems very nice (I just googled some photos), my back is pretty screwed but I see it's not very demanding when it comes to casting so I will definitely give it a try. If I get some results there I will also get back to fly tying which is great :) But this is not the topic for this sub-forum so I don't want to get into it :)

Anyway, I will read on at fishinginireland.info and if I have some questions I will ask!

Thanks and tight lines!

p.s.
For moderators: I got a pm but it seems there is no reply button so I can't reply. I don't know if this is a restriction for new members or a bug? Just to let you know...thanks
dawaxwaw
SAI Lug Worm

Postby corbyeire » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:31 am

there is a restriction on new members, but a few more posts should get you access to all areas
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby dawaxwaw » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:08 pm

corbyeire wrote:there is a restriction on new members, but a few more posts should get you access to all areas

Good to know, thanks!
dawaxwaw
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Steo2015 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 am

Hi dawaxwaw, any idea where in Dublin you'll be staying and I might be able to help you out, there's plenty of coarse fishing on the canals and on a few lakes close to dublin, depends on what you're looking to catch
Steo2015
SAI Lug Worm

Postby dawaxwaw » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:53 am

Steo2015 wrote:Hi dawaxwaw, any idea where in Dublin you'll be staying and I might be able to help you out, there's plenty of coarse fishing on the canals and on a few lakes close to dublin, depends on what you're looking to catch

Hi there, thank you for your reply. I will be staying in Clontarf area. Actually, I'm already there. If you have any useful information I'd be really thankful! Cheers!
dawaxwaw
SAI Lug Worm

Postby dawaxwaw » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:37 pm

I've also heard there is a commercial trout fishery somewhere near Malahide-u, but couldn't locate it on Google maps, that could also be interesting for me, so if you know anything about it, let me know. Thanks!
dawaxwaw
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Sweetwrasse » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 pm

dawaxwaw wrote:I've also heard there is a commercial trout fishery somewhere near Malahide-u, but couldn't locate it on Google maps, that could also be interesting for me, so if you know anything about it, let me know. Thanks!

Sounds like Courtlough up near Balbriggan. Have never fished there but it's the only one I know of in North Dublin
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby Al » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:55 am

You could try the Royal Canal up around Lucan/Leixlip, or you could get the train if you've no car and head out Maynooth direction and fish around there. There's Roach, rudd, hybrids,Bream & Tench to be caught. Maggots/worm, bread punch & sweet corn all worth a go. With regards to location you'll just have to explore..very little info online regarding specific spots for good reason. I fished a spot in Kildare last week for the first time and had Roach to 1lb, Bream about 4lb and Tench around 2lb. Best of luck
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Return to Coarse Angling