Galway / Mayo area, suitable for older angler

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Galway / Mayo area, suitable for older angler

Postby Chris T » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi All,

I’m planning a couple of days fishing in Galway/Mayo and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding a safe easy fishable spot for a bit of mixed fishing. It’s for the what’s now become an annual trip with the old man who is in his 70s and although fit and healthy I’m not too keen on him scrambling around on rocks as I do as he thinks he can still do this with ease.

I was told at one stage of a beach around Renville which was good for ray after dark but not knowing the area I forgot the name immediately. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris T
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 33 times

Re: Galway / Mayo area, suitable for older angler

Postby stevecrow74 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Renville stoney beach is good for dogs and Ray, little killary (to right if glassilaun beach) also a good spot with out too much rambling! And glassilaun beach is a handy spot if you can cast 50+ meters for Ray and dogs with flatfish in closer

Further down I would say Cleggan pier in the evening, used to get good Ray, dogs and good sized coalfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]

For this message the author stevecrow74 has received thanks:
Chris T (Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:13 pm)
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Galway / Mayo area, suitable for older angler

Postby kieran » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 am

Think steve has given you pretty much all of them, rinroe pier is another option but only at night and on a coming tide.

The far side of Kilary on the Mayo side is all difficult to access and in any event the bottom is mud and plugs all leads quickly. It also has tube worms and reefs so you get high tackle losses. Not worth it.

Let us know how you get on...

Good luck
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum