Fishing In Fountainstown Cork - Aug Ban Holiday Weekend

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Fishing In Fountainstown Cork - Aug Ban Holiday Weekend

Postby deannaidoo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:53 am

Hi Guys any advice or tips for fishing in Fountainstown in Cork? I plan on fishing there this weekend.
Will try for some mackerel and also any other species that are around that area.
All advice welcome as I have not fished this ground before.

Thanks
Dean
deannaidoo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Fishing In Fountains Cork - Aug Ban Holiday Weekend

Postby donal domeney » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 am

Out on the rocks to the left you'll get dogs, dogs, dogs, with the chance of a thornback or a huss. Into dusk is you best chance.
Over to the right there is a bit of land sticking out into the estuary. You have a chance of a flounder or mullet or even the odd schoolie bass there. You can dig lug and maddies in that area. Try among the weed for crab it would be my choice of bait.

The beach is very shallow and do not get deep until after half tide. Worth a go after dark for dogs and thornback.
For mackerel you will need to travel to Myrtleville, Fennels bay or Church bay fish the outer rocks either side of the beaches. There are only about a mile or two along the coast road to the left of the beach.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:02 pm), deannaidoo (Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:26 am)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Re: Fishing In Fountains Cork - Aug Ban Holiday Weekend

Postby deannaidoo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

donal domeney wrote:Out on the rocks to the left you'll get dogs, dogs, dogs, with the chance of a thornback or a huss. Into dusk is you best chance.
Over to the right there is a bit of land sticking out into the estuary. You have a chance of a flounder or mullet or even the odd schoolie bass there. You can dig lug and maddies in that area. Try among the weed for crab it would be my choice of bait.

The beach is very shallow and do not get deep until after half tide. Worth a go after dark for dogs and thornback.
For mackerel you will need to travel to Myrtleville, Fennels bay or Church bay fish the outer rocks either side of the beaches. There are only about a mile or two along the coast road to the left of the beach.

Thanks Much appreciated. Will try Myrtleville AS WELL
deannaidoo
SAI Lug Worm

Re: Fishing In Fountainstown Cork - Aug Ban Holiday Weekend

Postby bonobass » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:55 pm

deannaidoo wrote:Hi Guys any advice or tips for fishing in Fountainstown in Cork? I plan on fishing there this weekend.
Will try for some mackerel and also any other species that are around that area.
All advice welcome as I have not fished this ground before.

Thanks
Dean
Hi Dean try the estuary to can be a good spot [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
bonobass
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum