beach fishing july advice

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

beach fishing july advice

Postby cronan147 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:21 pm

hi guys,
im living in carlow but have family and a place to stay in courttown. any advice on places to fish and what baits to use? ill fish for anything but id like to target smoothound, doggies and id love to go for ray and bass.
thanks in advance.
cronan147
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: beach fishing july advice

Postby DaLimiter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Im still looking for spots meself, but Cahore point is good for Doggies fishing off the outward side of the pier high or low tide. busy spot in this weather during the day with people swimming on inwards side of pier.
DaLimiter
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Sweetwrasse » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 pm

cronan147 wrote:hi guys,
im living in carlow but have family and a place to stay in courttown. any advice on places to fish and what baits to use? ill fish for anything but id like to target smoothound, doggies and id love to go for ray and bass.
thanks in advance.

All the beaches along that stretch should be throwing up hounds now. Maybe try Ennereilly? Try a search of the archived reports section too, there's a wealth of information there even if not current. Crab, rag and mackeral should see you right for baits and keep the hook sizes smallish.
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby tight lines » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:15 am

if your looking for a handy session the pier in courtown is well worth ago I have had some good sessions from it with hounds, ray, flats, and I even had tope of it but never landed it
tight lines
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 471 times

Postby cronan147 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am

thanks lads i went to old bawn last night after beging advised to but a guy i meet at his car saidits more of a bass spot and recommended kilmichael or rooney point so i went to rooney point. it was about 9 last night. i wished the small strand over the rock on the left and finished on the other side. just as it got dark i got two dogs, one was decent and a flounder. then i got what i think was a small tope, maybe it was a smoothie but he was blue like a tope. who knows! it was about 5 maybe 6. as i went to pick up the rod, he plled the rod and tripod over. anyways i was delighted with my nights fishings. i left 20 mins later at 11:50, probaly when it was only getting good but i had to call it a night.
i checked all the archieves, theres some good reading in them, ill try some of the spots for sure!
cronan147
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cronan147 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am

i have fished courttown pier years ago and caught flounder and the beach to the left for smoothies and flouder, would love a ray!
cronan147
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Sweetwrasse » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Sounds a decent session...well done!
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby cronan147 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:32 pm

ì was delighted with it to be honest, biggest sea fish i ever caught. again i could have got a lot more if i stayed id say but i had to head on and i wouldnt be found of staying alone in such a sucluded spot when my head lamp stopped working to and no signal on my phone. off topic but whats the best way to store rag and how long do they last generally
cronan147
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Sweetwrasse » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Rag are fairly hardy and will keep well when stored properly. I've kept rag for over a week in a cool box outside with about 1/2 inch saltwater and daily change of ice packs. Or more conveniently keep them in a tray in the fridge (if allowed! That's why i keep them outside...easier life!)
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Sweetwrasse » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:51 pm

And change the water every few days too picking out any worms that might have died or look to be on the way out.
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby larsso81 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:44 pm

was looking for similar infor myself, thanks lads
larsso81
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby ardinn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Lads im in carlow and heading to wexford to a few marks for the next few day - If anyone wants to tag along feel free to give me a shout - I know most marks around those areas. gimme an e-mail on slaneyfishing@gmail.com
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum