Coupla Q's from a newbie

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Coupla Q's from a newbie

Postby DaLimiter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi, new on here.
Been sea fishing since i was a pup with me Dad, Originaly from dublin Used to fish in places like Greystones and Dunmore East, Saleens down south. Moved to the midlands and took up course angling. Kinda getting back into the sea fishing nowadays.

Finding it hard to find good spots to fish,
Fished around beaches north of Wicklow town on night tides, caught flats, codling, bass. but all very very small fish, you wouldnt even know they where on the line.
Fished around Rosslare during the day tides and got nothing
Fished Cahore Pier and was flittered with dogfish, dont get me wrong, when youve had a few blanks a clatter of dogfish is a nice sight, but they were all small fish also.
Fished Kilmicheal point last Sunday morning and didnt even get a bite.
very hit and miss these days, and maybe just me but fish caught off the coast seem to be a lot smaller these days also.

Anyone any idea how Dunmore East pier is fishing these days?

What ever happened to getting your rag wrapped in seaweed? Wrapped in newspaper these days doesnt keep it as freash, in my opinion anyhow.

Im living in meath now, Any pointers as to the closest place to buy bait?

Thanks.
DaLimiter
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Coupla Q's from a newbie

Postby greg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:21 pm

well friend the east coast is not the fishery it once was.small fish are the norm during the day.you have to be come very specific in where and when you fish and time of year is very important.night fishing will bring more fish and plenty of doggies during the summer.forget about the old reliable marks most are fished out.your best bet is to target bigger fish pick the right venue/ tides/ bait and be prepeared to blank.it still produces good ray/hounds/tope/etc but requires more work.as for rag in weed.weed goes off very quickly that the reason its not sold in weed anymore. hope this helps.
common sense not very common

For this message the author greg has received thanks:
DaLimiter (Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:23 pm)
greg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby DaLimiter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Yeah things have definitely changed alright. A bit of local knowledge is a very valuable asset but not too many are gonna share good marks and i dont blame them.
went around Howth one day last year and seen lads fishing off the rocks for macks, and they where keeping every fish they got, some of them where so small, more meat on a chickens elbow, was shocking.

Im living in meath so its hard to organise fresh bait.
DaLimiter
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby greg » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm

mick in Viking tackle in bray does good rag and its on the way when you are fishing Wicklow/wexford.
common sense not very common
greg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby sea serpant » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm

I've had some of the best fishing I've had in many years the past few summers hounds ray bass Huss all featured had some really busy nights Dublin can be hit and miss apart pockets of hounds in certain parts but the wexford coast still produces excellent fishing from may to November night fishing makes an unbelievable difference in the east coast it can literally mean the difference between decent fishing and blanking I very rarely fish the east coast in day light
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum