Courtmacsherry

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Courtmacsherry

Postby pajo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi all

I'm fishing Courtmacsherry at the weekend. Bringing muppets, pirks, shads, rubber eels and hokkais.

I'm looking for recommendations for rigs/methods from anyone who has fished there, please?

Targeting cod, ling, pollack and coalfish, looking for a few bigger lads as opposed to lots of fish.

Thanks in advance,
Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: Courtmacsherry

Postby Rob Millard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 pm

I presume you’re fishing with Mark Gannon. There’s some really great wreck and reef fishing there, and the weather looks good, so you should be in for a good day. At anchor fish with a short heavy mono trace with a muppet baited with a mackerel flapper, Head or fillet for Congers, Ling, Huss or maybe even a skate. We’ve had success with yellow lumo muppets, but everyone will have their favorite colours. All your jelly worms, shads etc will catch Pollack on the drift, but try a Pink, yellow, or yellow and pink (rhubarb & custard) shad fished tight to the bottom for Cod. Fishing a live launce or mackerel will generally pick out the bigger fish, so might be worth a try too. Tight lines.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby pajo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 am

That's great Rob thanks for all that info.

Yes out with Mark Gannon. I've never fished down that side before - looking forward to it.

Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Rob Millard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:11 am

It’s one of my favorite places in the country. Tell Mark & Sean I said hello.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby kayak fishing » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 pm

fish at back of boat as well best spot
kayak fishing
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby pajo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks men.

I will indeed, Rob.

Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby donal domeney » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Make sure your reel is full of line, you will get a better retrieve ratio per turn. I use a Penn 535 with 30/40lb braid. Great speed when you have to reel in when there is nothing on.

If you are fishing for ling on the drift over a wreck or reef use a piece of 30lb line to attach the lead to the trace. better to lose the lead rather than the trace and a lot of line.

If you are gilling count the turns of the handle as you are reeling this will give you an idea on the depth the fish are feed in.

My opinion, the feeding line of order cod on the bottom ling next pollack between 15 and 40 turn and coalfish anything up to 50/60 turns

Retrieve slowly at the start and building it up as you get higher.
Enjoy the day
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby pajo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks Donal.

Yes I'm sorted on the first two - I have a two full spools of 40/50lb braid with about 4m of 25/30lb mono on top. If I get stuck the mono usually breaks first. I usually use 18/20lb to the lead.

Thankd for the advice.

Pajo.
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum