The swilly again

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

The swilly again

Postby MC » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 pm

I have been itching to get back to this beach but you need the right conditions, so with the lack of rain meaning the freshwater run off won't put fish off and being neap tides I headed to this low water mark. I have fished this beach in the past and landed small Huss dogs gurnards flounder and conger but never what the beach is famous for, Ray's. So with everything falling into place I headed to the mark, I was late due to a family event so missed the drop but managed the low water and first two hours of the flood. As I was casting out two anglers came up the beach heading home and they said there was a half hour period before low water when they got Ray's and a dog, had I missed the action. The fist hour passed with crabs stripping baits but once the tide started to run they disappeared at this point weed became problematic but it was still fishable. After two hours I got a rattle and connected with a doggie, blank beat but am I still cursed on this venue, slowly I am running out of bait and the weed is getting worse but I fish on. Using the last of my mackerel I chuck out and let the 6oz grip settle, wind in and rebait with double sandeel on the other rod, I start to tidy up as it won't be long until the tide starts to rip through and you can't hold bottom. I let the rods sit for a while before bringing in one and putting it away as the pile of weed at my feet is getting bigger, it's at this point I notice my other rod bent over and the line pulling down tide, the weed must have ripped out the lead so I wind in but the weed pulls back and splashes, the excitement build have I finally managed a ray from this cursed beach, after a few minutes I have a nice 5lb Ray at my feet and 3lb of weed. Taken this as an omen I released the Ray and rebaited with what's left and cast out again but alas the weed and tide put end to anymore fishing so I packed up and made the long trek back to the car with a smile on my face.

For this message the author MC has received thanks: 2
basilrabbit (Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 pm), family guy (Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 pm)
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Re: The swilly again

Postby johnwest » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Well done MC, the curse lifted with a nice ray complete with salad.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby family guy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:54 pm

:
johnwest wrote:Well done MC, the curse lifted with a nice ray complete with salad.
:lol:
family guy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby basilrabbit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:32 pm

weed is always on the change of tide at that area , better fishing swilly pier on a night tide when all the mackrel slingers have gone home.
basilrabbit
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 26 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports