Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Garretstown evening/night session

Postby Paddyschoice » Fri May 25, 2018 10:24 am

Date - 24 may 18
Low tide - ~ 2030
Fished 2100 - 0100
Bait - few frozen peeler and razorfish

Fished yesterday evening in Garretstown for the first time, beautiful spot! Was there at bottom water and fished the beach to the right (smaller beach). There wasn't much surf there to be fair but I made the trip down from the city so I said I would get the lines wet anyway! The weather was great during the day, but I brought a heavy enough jumper with me - thank fu*k I did, it got cold alright! Had 2 rods out, 1 rod in closer with 2 hook flapper (size 1 hook) and half a razor on each hook with a barrel lead to scratch around for a flatfish, and the other rod I had another 2 hook flapper, grip lead, with bigger hooks (2/0) with half a peeler crab on one hook and a full razor on the other - hoping for a bass. After a few hours of nothing... the reflective tip of the further out bass rod started slamming down, right when I was drinking a cup of tea no less, typical! Got the bite and struck.... missed it!! God damn it! Half an hour white Labrador came over for a chat with me! He was an older dog and just lay in the water in front of the tripod! Fished on for another 2 hours without a bite... always a knock to the confidence when you're fishing at 0100 in the morning without a single fish to account for! Wrapped up and was about to head home... when one of the lads rang me saying his car wouldn't start in Douglas and if I had jump leads.. I did have a set in the boot... it was when I got to him he told me he was on a date with a blonde!! I couldn't stop laughing at him and the embarrassment!! That cheered my blanking session anyway!!

Recently getting back into fishing and could do with any tips or any advice anyone has!

Cheers folks

For this message the author Paddyschoice has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 pm), kieran (Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:48 am)
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Re: Garretstown evening/night session

Postby donal domeney » Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 am

Drop down to size 4 hooks for the fish in close. I've had a 13lb painted ray and 12.5lb bass on them. It's the angler that lands the fish not the hook. 8) A few lug and maddies never go astray on that beach. Kinsale is only a small detour off the main road.

Man, if you want to drink tea stay at home and do it there :lol: beaches are for fishing

Remember what I told you, "I don't fish for bass I just catch them when I'm fishing."
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 3
corbyeire (Sun May 27, 2018 2:08 pm), Paddyschoice (Mon May 28, 2018 12:36 pm), RockySXC (Mon May 28, 2018 2:24 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Marco » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:36 am

Never thought I'd see the day that you would be talking about size 4 hooks Donal :D :D :D :D
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby kieran » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am

first time I've heard of a man fishing with jump leads catch a blonde!

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:17 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports