Spring Pollock

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Spring Pollock

Postby MtlSix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Got into sea fishing only last summer and I had some luck with the macks and pollock. I've been wanting to get back out shore fishing again but mainly focusing on lure fishing for pollock. I'm based in North Dublin and I was wondering if it's still too early to target Pollock, and if so what time of year do they start moving closer tword shore. I was planning to fish around the howth peninsula.
MtlSix
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Spring Pollock

Postby kieran » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:40 pm

It might be a bit early but around Howth...

If you are careful, down on the nose at the split rock, there is a reef at around 2 o'clock facing due north, that used to hold decent Pollack. Long cast required.
If you can manage it casting as far or farther directly east towards the rock pinnacles can take Pollack at high water and big ballans in season. nasty ground.

HTH
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Paddy002 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:06 am

caught 2 small pollock last Saturday in ardmore
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:
Mackerel, Dog Fish, Whiting, 3 bearded rockling

2016 Species:
Pouting, Cod, Coalfish, LSD, macks, pollock, dogfish, Bass, Eel, Garfish, Ling, conger, yellow fin tuna, Skipjack Tuna, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Scad, Conger, whiting

2015 species:
Codling, sea bass, mack's, flounder, Dab, three bearded rockling, coalfish, dog fish, bull huss, ballen wrasse, Pollock, European eel, cuckoo wrasse, ling, conger,scorpion fish, cod, pouting, blue shark, whiting
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times

Postby MAC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

kieran wrote:It might be a bit early but around Howth...

If you are careful, down on the nose at the split rock, there is a reef at around 2 o'clock facing due north, that used to hold decent Pollack. Long cast required.
If you can manage it casting as far or farther directly east towards the rock pinnacles can take Pollack at high water and big ballans in season. nasty ground.

HTH

That mark is dead a few years.. Lads spear fished it with Scuba gear and cleaned it out.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby kieran » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:55 pm

I thought the whole point of spear fishing was not to use scuba gear and only use your own breath? Damn thing needs regulation. Destroying marks everywhere...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby nicefish » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:41 pm

kieran wrote:I thought the whole point of spear fishing was not to use scuba gear and only use your own breath? Damn thing needs regulation. Destroying marks everywhere...

I was looking at the regulations on spear fishing their site needs some updating. Seabass 40cm two fish limit, not much good if a fish was just under 40cm how can you release a fish after been speared at least with bait and lures you can most of the time release the fish unharmed.
The best things in life aren't things.

For this message the author nicefish has received thanks: 3
Bielsibub (Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:30 am), corbyeire (Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:33 pm), SeanA101080 (Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 pm)
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby kieran » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks for the info nicefish... but how does this possibly match up to the new regulations around bass? This is crazy. Is this blatantly illegal advice?
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby MAC » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 am

I know spear fishing in most countries requires that no scuba equipment is used. If regulated and policed spear fishing can be a very selective way of getting dinner. Personally I don't agree with it. The problem in Ireland is that it is not policed and even if you caught you can plead ignorance. A lot of marks are getting cleaned out, including a lot of south coast bass marks.
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Lure Fishing