Is braided worth it for the extra distance?

A forum to discuss casting techniques and events. For the angler wishing to increase his distance and the tournament caster.

Moderators: paddyc, kstaff

Is braided worth it for the extra distance?

Postby Joeh21 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello everyone!
As i said in another post, im trying to get back into fishing.
Ive more gear than i know what to do with but Id like to sent one of my beach rods for distance.
Ive read about braid being good for getting it out there but its not the cheapest stuff...is it worth it? would i be better off with a longer rod?
Im using 2 6000 size reels
2 12" rods

Id like to have one out far and then the other close in, cover more ground etc

Thanks
Joe
Joeh21
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Is braided worth it for the extra distance?

Postby donal domeney » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am

You don't need braid to do that though the thinner diameter will help. There a plenty of brands of mono with a low diameter in or around .3/.32
A few things that will help would be a good casting technique, having the line on the spool out towards the tip of the spool and a proper weight to rod balance.
When you see “casting 4oz – 8oz” on a standard run of the mill sea rod don’t believe a word of it.
Sure it might be able to cast 8oz but more than likely it collapse under the strain. See too many anglers trying to cast 6oz leads on rods that are better suited to a 4oz/5oz lead. What might look like a small difference in weight can make a big difference in distance.
Maybe one of the casters on the site might pick up on this they have a better insight into these things

Now after all that I use braid for most of my fishing the best advantage is that fishing storm beaches with plenty of weed out there you have a better chance of getting you trace back.
My main set up at the moment is an ABU twin tip beach http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index ... ts_id=1131. A Shimano ultegra xsc loaded with 30lb. (0.17 diameter) spiderwire. The white top section will cast a 6oz weight while I’m more comfortable using a 5oz lead with the yellow top section.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
kieran (Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby paddyc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

As Donal mentioned braid will give you a bit of extra distance but the cheaper option would be to opt for a thinner diameter mono and set the reel up correctly with the line just under the lip, and using a rod designed for what you want to do not what you hope it will do,, these little things all add up to more distance but nothing comes close to having a good casting technique. Being smooth and knowing where and when to put the power in is the key..

For off the ground style of casting have a look at Peter's vid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjOEGDp38q0
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND

For this message the author paddyc has received thanks: 2
donal domeney (Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm), johnwest (Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm)
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby johnwest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Great little video there paddyc, some good tips in it. I have small hands and found the tip about gripping the reel first and then the rod, interesting, never heard that one before. In terms of line diameters around 0.3-0.32, do some reels not "flow" better with thicker diameters, e.g. the equivalent of typical 18lb line rather than 15lb line?
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby paddyc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

johnwest wrote:In terms of line diameters around 0.3-0.32, do some reels not "flow" better with thicker diameters, e.g. the equivalent of typical 18lb line rather than 15lb line?

Thicker line will by nature peel off quick because of its large diameter but you will not achieve maximum distance because as the line level drops faster so friction will develop quicker,, the general rule is the thinner line comes off the reel easier because of its smaller diameter there is less friction coming off the reels spool lip as the line level doesn't drop as quick and less friction going through the guides also...
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND

For this message the author paddyc has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm)
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby john86 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Where abouts are you fishing and over what ground.
I fish the east coast and use between .20 and .25 for most of my fishing .
There are some pretty good low diameter mono lines on the market at the moment.
john86
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby SiDtheFish » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Hi
With all the talk of braid mainline for shore fishing I think I heard once upon a time that shorecasting multipliers were designed for 0.3-0.35mm lines. Despite using modern braid on my boat, baitcast and fixed spool reels I still have probs with casting multipliers unless I up the mag settings. As a bit of reverse thinking I now use mono mainline (nite crystal, 0.33mm) and a superbraid 100-150lb shockleader of similar diameter, therefore no huge knot rattling through the rings = more distance! Though I wouldn't use this in rocks I have had no probs atall on the beach. On the subject of line diameters my tournament shimano fixed spool takes 200m of 0.2mm mono (checked). Loaded with 0.10mm? super braid I know it's casting further but it's emptying the spool! By the way I'm crap at multiplier and fly casting but average with a fixed spool. To sound like a complete idiot, for rock fishing I use 50lb super braid straight through with no probs (larger diameter and no bedding in?)
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Casting