Travel spinning rods

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Travel spinning rods

Postby ragworm2012 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

Lads
Planning to buy a travel spinning rod, which one is good mainly for bass and predators fish, which place is good to buy one.. I am based in cork
Any opinion small or big will help.. was looking at rovex ceratec rods. 4 pic ones,,any review on them..
ragworm2012
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Travel spinning rods

Postby kieran » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:35 pm

I have a Mission 6 from Greys that can be used in a 10 or 11 foot version.

On the good side, it is strong, sturdy, nicely put together and comes in a good strong tube

On the downside, it comes with a bloody metal zip, now broken and replaced with velcro, I mean seriously when will sea angling designers ever figure out that metal zips are dumber than dirt? furthermore its heavy especially after a long session, you feel it in your arm and wrist and that is not pleasant.

Overall I am not convinced by travel rods, but would be happy to be put right. I had a standard 2 piece from Mike Ladle that someone has appropriated (want it back if you are readying this) and its massively superior to any equivalent travel rod that I have tried including a US La Croix. Lighter, tighter, just the business. And not expensive.

Hope this helps...

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
ragworm2012 (Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:13 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ragworm2012 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 pm

kieran wrote:I have a Mission 6 from Greys that can be used in a 10 or 11 foot version.

On the good side, it is strong, sturdy, nicely put together and comes in a good strong tube

On the downside, it comes with a bloody metal zip, now broken and replaced with velcro, I mean seriously when will sea angling designers ever figure out that metal zips are dumber than dirt? furthermore its heavy especially after a long session, you feel it in your arm and wrist and that is not pleasant.

Overall I am not convinced by travel rods, but would be happy to be put right. I had a standard 2 piece from Mike Ladle that someone has appropriated (want it back if you are readying this) and its massively superior to any equivalent travel rod that I have tried including a US La Croix. Lighter, tighter, just the business. And not expensive.

Hope this helps...

Thank you for your reply. I am flying so wonder what are the flight restrictions also.. wanted something to go in luggage bag..
Don't want hassle with check in
ragworm2012
SAI Lug Worm

Postby kieran » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Not sure about sizes....

And it depend son whether you want to check in a bag or not...

You might want to consider a telescopic rod to fit in your cabin luggage so, but bear in mind that with this you will not be able to bring a reel unless you remove the line and don't even think of bringing lures or similar with you into the airplane cabin. It will all be confiscated. The solution is to POST your lures line etc. to the destination and POST it back home from there before you leave....
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JimC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 pm

I haven’t used the Rovex Ceratec travel but the two piece 7’ is a nice rod.
I have used a Rovex Lure Pro Travel. Perfect for a bit of casual lure fishing on hols.
There’s a bit here: http://www.topfisher.eu/not-a-fishing-holiday/
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby hugo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 am

A couple of years back I got a Blackrock Geotrex Travel Spin 10ft from Veals. Its multi-section and packs down to 22inches length, but when assembled and fishing it feels just like a normal two piece. It comes in a hard tube but I dont bother with that, the rod in its bag slips easily into cabin luggage and I've been all over the globe with it and no problems. Besides spinning, I've done light float fishing with it too. I like it so much I even use it on the home patch for STs etc.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby DarrenNiall » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Have a Rovex Lure Pro quad 8' travel spin

Bought in Henrys tackle for €40

Super light and fast action

Packs down to 75cm

Used it with a Penn conflict 4000 and 10lb braid, it worked well, but would probably fish better with a 2000.

Had A few small Pollock up to 2lb on soft plastics.

Took a walk along the canal, pitching light lures and had pike up to 5lb.

The rod feels pretty good considering the price.
DarrenNiall
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby ATF » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am

bought a okuma lure extreme 4 piece (9ft 12-40g) very fast action....v good rod, bought 2 more from glasgow angling centre
ATF
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby papasenseida » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Using Shimano Catana CX TELE 300MH (SCATEXTE30MH) 3.0m - 10ft spinning rod for sea fishing. The catalogue says it is for freshwater, but there is no rust or corrosion after 1.5 years of no wash (well I should). The cork handle seems to be OK too. No change.

Designed for lure weight 14 - 40g, but for a mild cast even 60g should be all right, as I have used with 3-4oz lead. I've caught 80+ cm pollack few times with it from a rock shore. It were rough fights enough but the rod remained solid and trusting.

Transport length is 77cm, which is all right for check-in baggage but too-long for the cabin. There is a 2.4m - 8ft MH version (SCATEXTE24MH), and it is 66cm so will fit within the cabin-size in diagonal.

Bought at Rory's in Temple Bar for bit less than 70 euros.

(edit: added length in ft)
Papa Senseida
Twitter : @PopSensyDad
papasenseida
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby ragworm2012 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:01 am

papasenseida wrote:Using Shimano Catana CX TELE 300MH (SCATEXTE30MH) 3.0m - 10ft spinning rod for sea fishing. The catalogue says it is for freshwater, but there is no rust or corrosion after 1.5 years of no wash (well I should). The cork handle seems to be OK too. No change.

Designed for lure weight 14 - 40g, but for a mild cast even 60g should be all right, as I have used with 3-4oz lead. I've caught 80+ cm pollack few times with it from a rock shore. It were rough fights enough but the rod remained solid and trusting.

Transport length is 77cm, which is all right for check-in baggage but too-long for the cabin. There is a 2.4m - 8ft MH version (SCATEXTE24MH), and it is 66cm so will fit within the cabin-size in diagonal.

Bought at Rory's in Temple Bar for bit less than 70 euros.

(edit: added length in ft)

Thank you for the reply.. I will be putting in checked luggage.. not cabin luggage..will go and check in tackle shop how it feels n buy...
Thank you
Regards
ragworm2012
SAI Lug Worm

Postby roryodonnell » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

I've got the 8 and 10 rovex pro lure. Great rods for the price. The 10 model can really blast out 2oz leads for light bass work, the 8 works well for >15gr. Both are very light and responsive. If they broke ( had both of my > 6 years) I wouldn't hesitate buying again.
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby ragworm2012 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:39 pm

roryodonnell wrote:I've got the 8 and 10 rovex pro lure. Great rods for the price. The 10 model can really blast out 2oz leads for light bass work, the 8 works well for >15gr. Both are very light and responsive. If they broke ( had both of my > 6 years) I wouldn't hesitate buying again.

Thanks Rory
I will be using for predator fish mostly lure Fishing..
Still looking around..
Thank you
Regards
ragworm2012
SAI Lug Worm

Postby billybob1013 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:25 am

Maxcatch on Amazon have some amazing gear , I have lots of their stuff and can't fault any of it. Mention Neill Walker if you order and they might throw in something extra.
billybob1013
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:31 pm

I would echo what JimC says - the Rovex Lure Pro Quad 8ft is good travel rod. It packs down to 4 equal sections, will fit in a carry on suitcase (just take it out of the hard case).

It's rated 20-40g but will cast lower weights grand. I have cast the 12g black minnow with it, just not an awful long way. The thing it casts best are metal lures 18g and above it absolutely belts them out. It will do absolutely fine for general lure fishing: diving plugs like Feed Shallows, Weighted SPs like Black Minnows/ SG Sandeels, surface lures like Salt Skimmers and Patchinkos. The only fella it might not do great would be an unweighted SP like a Wave Worm.

Have had good pollock off the rocks here in Ireland, plenty power to get them in. In Sicily last year I caught two leerfish (a warm water fish in the jack family). I got one on a surface lure and one on a black minnow. The one on the surface lure was a nice fish, and they fight with a lot of energy due to the warmer water. The rovex handled it very well!
Attachments
20161009_143747.jpg
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby nicefish » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 pm

I have the rovex lurepro 9’ 25-50gm grand rod I use it for metal lures, handy for me I use bike and train.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports