Slug-go lures

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Slug-go lures

Postby daveyboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:31 am

Folks, I picked up some slug gos lure (the 6” ones) Any tips on best way to retrieve? I’ve had very little luck on straight tail softies such as I shads etc before. Only ever had one fish on an i-shad fishing it dead slow and weightless/weedless and basically just keeping in contact. Was planning on doing the same with the slug-go. Would that be effective do you think or should I add a jig head an twitch it back?
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Re: Slug-go lures

Postby roryodonnell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm

grab some Sluggo-SS also - very "attractive" tail action
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Re: Slug-go lures

Postby Old Hand Lure Angler » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 pm

It depends on where you are fishing. If there are no real fast currents, you can go weightless using the “Texposer” hook. I find it takes a lot of self restraint to fish these type of lures as slow as possible. As an alternative you could use one of those Tungston bullet weights held in place with a float stop. Great action fished this way. You can also cast further and fish in more active water.
One thing I do which aids hooking with the bullet weights is to mount the hook about a third of the way back from the nose of the lure. I thread the line through the body with a baiting needle. Not quite wedless this way, but hookpoint up is ok for bouncing over clean bottoms.
Old Hand Lure Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Lure Fishing